When this seven year old was playing in the back garden she wasn’t expecting to be attacked by a Rattlesnake, but that’s exactly what was about to happen before her 2-year-old pet dog jumped in and took the bite for her.
Molly DeLuca was playing in the garden of her Florida home with her German Shepherd, Haus, when an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake came onto the scene.
If Molly was bitten by the rattlesnake, the venom could have potentially resulted in a fatality had she not been injected with the anti-venom quick enough.
It is thought that the Eastern Diamondback kills more people in the U.S. every year than any other snake.
Sensing the danger, her German Shepherd, Haus, leapt in between Molly and the rattlesnake to save her from the attack, but unfortunately got bit three times in the process, reports Sky News.
Speaking to Fox 13, Molly’s mum said:
She saw him jump back, and go forward, and jump back and go forward. He was just, kind of, holding his ground. Next thing we know is there’s blood and he was limping and crying.
I feel really grateful for the dog. It is frightening to think it could have been my daughter. I don’t know if she would have made it.Advertisement
After the attack, Haus, who was originally picked up from a dog shelter two months ago, required a series of anti-venom injections costing thousands of dollars but when people heard about his bravery they stepped in and raised at least $49,300 (£27,000) at the time of writing, on a GoFundMe account set-up to cover the price of treatment.
To donate visit the GoFundMe page here.