Co-op Customers Poisoned After Eating Doughnuts Laced With Cleaning Fluid

By : Rebecca KnightTwitterLogo

0 Shares
coop web Co op Customers Poisoned After Eating Doughnuts Laced With Cleaning FluidCascade News

Co-op have found themselves all over the news for all the wrong reasons after customers complained of sickness and diarrhoea after eating doughnuts bought from the store.

The guilty branch, from Oswestry in Shropshire, received dozens of complaints from people who had purchased their jam and custard doughnuts, who fell ill – and claimed they could taste cleaning fluid on the treats.

Advertisement

Lita Williams, from Oswestry, claimed:

I took one bite out of the doughnut and said to my husband it tasted funny, it tasted of antiseptic of some kind.

I could taste it on the roof of my mouth and I had a burning sensation.

I took them back to the shop and the assistant manager tasted one and even she said she could taste disinfectant, so they were all taken off the shelves.

Advertisement

sick gif Co op Customers Poisoned After Eating Doughnuts Laced With Cleaning Fluid

Co-op discovered that the trays used to bake the doughnuts had been soaked in disinfectant for too long, leading to the mistake.

Co-op claimed:

Advertisement

We are committed to offering consistently high quality products and service and, we are sorry that this product fell short of those expectations.

The matter has been thoroughly investigated and an isolated issue regarding the correct cleaning process for our oven trays was identified.

This has now been addressed.

Comments