Emily Eavis says she received death threats after booking Kanye West as a headliner for this year’s Glastonbury Festival.
An online petition demanding the rapper is removed from the bill has now got over 133,000 signatures.
Speaking to the Times, Eavis said:
It was not a pleasant world we unwrapped. I had death threats and stuff. It was horrible. It was crazy. It was getting out of control. We had Time magazine, all the American news channels saying they were going to come down.
(It was) this incredible onslaught worldwide. It was quite upsetting because we were talking about something that was so exciting and interesting and fresh and brilliant for the festival. Kanye West is making the most exciting music at the moment. He is an amazing force as a performer. For us, getting the biggest star in the world was an amazing coup.
Emily Eavis books and organises the festival with her father and Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis.
Legendary rock acts Foo Fighters and The Who are the other two headline acts at this year’s Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset on 24-28 June.
There was similar uproar when hip-hop legend Jay Z was booked for the festival in 2008, and last year when heavy metal titans Metallica headlined the event. Because Glastonbury is an all-inclusive festival, except when it comes to rap or metal, apparently.
Just like both those acts, expect Kanye to absolutely smash with his performance on the Pyramid Stage on the Saturday and make all those protesters look very silly indeed.