Man Dies After Waiter Accidentally Gives Him Dishwasher Detergent Instead Of Wine

By :

Man Dies After Waiter Accidentally Gives Him Dishwasher Detergent Instead Of Wine white wine WEBSchool of Wine/Getty

A 50-year-old man has died after he was accidentally served a glass of dishwasher detergent instead of white wine.

Andres Lorente suffered horrific burns to his windpipe, throat and stomach after drinking the industrial cleaner at a café in Spain on Sunday afternoon.


The father-of-two died later that day from major internal burns in Comarcal de Vinaròs Hospital.


Police are investigating the incident at Bar Raconet in the Spanish region of Castellón and the owner was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and later released on bail.

According to Spanish news source The Local E’s, it appears the error occurred because the dishwasher detergent was poured in an empty wine bottle and mistakenly put inside the fridge by a member of staff.

The detergent was colourless and odourless so neither the waiter nor Lorente realised it wasn’t wine in the bottle.

A source close to the investigation said:

Everything at the moment is pointing towards a tragedy caused by negligence rather than ill-intent. The industrial cleaner appears to have been placed in an empty wine bottle in the fridge with the terrible consequences that entailed. In its appearance, texture and colour, it was identical to the glass of white wine the victim had ordered. Our understanding is he only took a small sip of the liquid.

Unfortunately, ingesting even a small amount of such a concentrated liquid can be lethal, as it proved to be here.