BREAKING: Police Release Main Suspect Charged For Brussels Attacks

By : Alex MaysTwitterLogo

0 Shares

web brussels suspect BREAKING: Police Release Main Suspect Charged For Brussels Attacks

The main suspect who was charged over last week’s Brussels attacks has been released this afternoon, following a lack of evidence linking him to the brutal bombings. 

Advertisement

Without giving further details, the federal prosecutor’s office said in a statement:

The indications that led to the arrest of Faycal C. were not substantiated by the ongoing inquiry. As a result, the subject has been released by the examining magistrate.

Faycal C, was the man identified by prosecutors as the prime suspect in the hunt for the ‘man in the hat’ at the Brussels airport bombings.

terror web thumb BREAKING: Police Release Main Suspect Charged For Brussels Attacks

He was named by Belgian media reports as freelance journalist Fayçal Cheffou. Police announced that he had none of the links to the Paris attacks that characterised the three named conspirators who died carrying out last Tuesday’s attacks.

Advertisement

Named by Belgian media reports as freelance journalist Fayçal Cheffou, police said the suspect had none of the links to the Paris attacks that the three named conspirators did have.

Cheffou was originally charged on Saturday with ‘taking part in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder’.

pg 6 brussels suspects 1 bfp BREAKING: Police Release Main Suspect Charged For Brussels Attacks

Belgian police have now released more of the CCTV images in a bid to identify the suspect on the right, seen wearing light-coloured clothing and a black hat.

Advertisement

Police say he was pushing a trolley carrying a suitcase containing the largest bomb of the three, but it failed to detonate.

The other two devices exploded in Zaventem airport terminal shortly after 8am, killing 11 people and wounding 100 others. 30 minutes later, another suicide bomber detonated at the Maelbeek metro station in the centre of the city killing another 20 people.

GettyImages 517032900 1 BREAKING: Police Release Main Suspect Charged For Brussels AttacksGetty

A further four people have died in hospital following the attacks.


Credits

The Independent and 2 other

Comments