How Mouldy Is Too Mouldy To Eat? Science Has The Answer

By : Alex MaysTwitterLogo

0 Shares
UNILAD mouldy food67780 How Mouldy Is Too Mouldy To Eat? Science Has The AnswerScience Photo Library

At some point in life you’ll face this dilemma. You have a bit of bread with mould on but you really want that bacon sarnie and you’re too hungover to brave going to the shops… do you scrape it off and risk a┬ámiserable week spent┬áto-ing and fro-ing from your bed to the bathroom, or just chuck it?

Well, scientists have now told us whether it’s bad to do this or not, and the answer is not too surprising – it’s a pretty resounding nope. Put that mould-ridden sarnie down!

Advertisement

UNILAD CY170527735158 How Mouldy Is Too Mouldy To Eat? Science Has The Answer

Advertisement

The guys who carried out the research at Livescience say that green patches on your food is just the spore that gives it its colour, and the actual bacteria is embedded deep into your unwanted loaf. Grim.

If a mould contains mycotoxins they can cause respiratory problems or allergic reactions – which can prove fatal. But don’t panic, most moulds are in fact harmless, but it’s probably worth taking the less risky route and just get rid.

Advertisement

UNILAD video undefined 1A2D9ADF00000578 888 636x35890227 How Mouldy Is Too Mouldy To Eat? Science Has The AnswerWarner Bros.

Well, at least now we know…