As the holiday season comes to an end for most of us, a 20-year-old British girl is fighting against serious kidney failure after drinking illegal alcohol in Zante.
Hannah Powell, from Middlesbrough, woke up in her hotel room blind in both eyes and in extreme stomach pain after a night out on the party island, reports the Daily Mail.
The young girl was rushed to hospital where doctors performed emergency surgery for kidney failure – however, they are still working to try and bring back her sight.
The terrifying consequences have led police to investigate whether the bootleg alcohol had been tampered with or mixed with the highly toxic chemical, methanol.
Hannah’s parents have flown out to Zante to be with their daughter at her bedside.
Her mum, Christine, said:
Her kidneys have completely gone. She’s on dialysis every day. She hasn’t recovered. She can see tiny bits but it isn’t good. She can only see some shapes.
The police came to talk to us and have done a report. They think it could be methanol that is responsible but the investigation is ongoing.
She was on a Thomson package holiday with two friends. We just want to get her home.Advertisement
Apparently, the use of methanol in drinks across party holiday destinations isn’t all that rare and there are a lot of bartenders out there who will use industrial strength methanol to disguise the fact that drinks have been watered down.
Hopefully, the police find those responsible for Hannah’s horrific, and potentially life-long injuries.
British tourist, 20, left BLIND after collapsing with kidney failure when her 'party cocktail' was spiked 'with cheap alcohol' on a Greek holiday island Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3772639/British-tourist-20-collapses-kidney-failure-left-blind-drink-spiked-cheap-alcohol-Greek-holiday-island.html#ixzz4JHYGzB6M Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook