It’s being reported that a man has opened fire at the Kinoplex cinema in the German town of Viernheim near Frankfurt.
There are conflicting reports that between 20 and 50 people have been injured by the masked gunman’s attack, The Telegraph claims.
Bild is now claiming that the civilians were injured by police tear gas as they stormed the building and not the gunman.
It was initially believed that the gunman had barricaded himself inside the cinema and that hostages had been taken.
However, it’s been reported by the regional interior minister, Peter Beuth, that the gunman is now dead, after being shot in a commando operation.
BREAKING: Gunman shot dead in Viernheim, Germany: local media
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) June 23, 2016
Local officials have now said that he was killed after a brief struggle with police.
Authorities initially described the incident as an ‘unclear threat situation’ but local media reports say the armed man entered the cinema and fired at least one shot.
The gunman was said to be carrying a handgun and wearing an ammunition belt.
BREAKING — Shooting at a cinema in Viernheim, Germany; injuries reported, attacker masked, wearing ammunition belt pic.twitter.com/b6KTETuwA2
— DAILY SABAH (@DailySabah) June 23, 2016
Police were quick to arrive on the scene and the SEK elite police force were dispatched from Frankfurt.
Faz newsaper reports that there is now ‘no further danger,’ citing police sources.