A pensioner has claimed to have found Hitler’s secret stash of nuclear bombs underground.
Peter Lohr, whose hobby is using ground penetrating radar to search for historical artefacts, says he was investigating near his home in Eastern Germany when he uncovered huge caverns beneath the ground, the Mirror reports.
Inside the spaces under Jonas Valley in Thuringia, Mr Lohr – who is a trained mechanical engineer – says by using 3-D imaging technology, he found five large metal objects which he believes may have been part of Adolf Hitler’s secret arsenal.
The 70-year-old claims the five shapes fit those of nuclear weapons, and warns they are unsafe if left unattended – risking a ‘second Chernobyl’.
He told the Bild: “The metal’s been lying there for 71 years. At some point it will decay and then we will have a second Chernobyl on our hands.”
But while Lohr’s claims may seem outlandish, this isn’t the first time rumours of a Nazi nuclear bomb have surfaced.
German nukes finally found! Daily Mail provides daily entertainment: https://t.co/AYL7SjILwq
— Hassan Elbahtimy (@Elbahtimy_H) May 19, 2016
Reports have been outlined in books such as Operation Big: The Race To Stop Hitler’s A Bomb by Colin Brown. And, last year, a documentary called The Search for Hitler’s Atom Bomb quoted sealed records from Russia and America which said to have proved the Nazis were close to creating a weapon of mass destruction.
The programme quoted interrogation reports of Nazi scientists, eyewitness accounts, and records left behind by researchers, The Daily Mail reports.
Since claiming he had found Hitler’s atomic bomb stash, Lohr has revealed that authorities have told him he’s ‘not allowed to continue [his] research anymore.’
Let’s hope this is just a false alarm.