South Korea has threatened to reduce North Korea to ashes and ‘remove it from the map’ if it shows any signs of mounting a nuclear attack, the BBC reports.
In new bloodcurdling battle-talk, a military source told Yonhap (South Korea’s biggest news agency) that every part of Pyongyang ‘will be completely destroyed by ballistic missiles and high-explosives shells’.
On Friday, North Korea put the international community on edge by completing its fifth and largest nuclear test.
Despite a UN ban on the tests, Kim Jong-un’s ‘maniacal recklessness’, as South Korea described it, knows no bounds. China said it ‘firmly opposed’ the move from Pyongyang, while Japan ‘protested adamantly’.
South Korean citizens held a protest yesterday, demanding an end to the tests:
Pyongyang responded on Sunday, calling the threats:
Meaningless sanctions… highly laughable.
The U.S. had considered taking out independent sanctions against Pyongyang after Friday’s test of a ‘nuclear warhead that had been standardised to be able to be mounted on strategic ballistic rockets’ – which has thought to have yielded a blast of 20 kilotonnes or more.
For context, the U.S. nuclear bomb on Hiroshima in 1945 had a yield of about 15 kilotonnes.
US Ambassador Samantha Power said:
North Korea is seeking to perfect its nuclear weapons and their delivery vehicles so they can hold the region and the world hostage under threat of nuclear strike.
World War Three, here we come…