As the world continues to mourn the loss of those who tragically died in the attack on Nice last week, there was an attack on innocent people in Syria in the early hours of Tuesday morning that was scarcely reported.
Regardless of the reasons why mainstream media outlets choose not to cover this kind of story and plaster the faces of the victims on the front page, the fact of the matter is that at least 73 civilians lost their lives in U.S. airstrikes on a Syrian village and they deserve to be in our thoughts.
Activists say that the majority of people who died when a coalition aircraft dropped bombs on homes in Tokkhar were women and children seeking shelter from the conflict, the Guardian reports.
— Christiaan Triebert (@trbrtc) July 18, 2016
Adnan al-Housen, an activist from Manbij, said:
The death toll is 117. We could document [the identity of] 73 civilians including 35 children and 20 women. The rest of the dead bodies are charred, or have been reduced to shreds.
It is believed that the innocent civilians were mistaken for jihadist fighters in the U.S. led coalition’s fight to seize the city of Manbij from ISIS.
— الرقة تذبح بصمت (@Raqqa_SL) July 21, 2016
U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said at a press conference in Washington:
I want to say that we’re aware of reports of civilian casualties that may be related to recent coalition airstrikes near Manbij city in Syria, which is one of the last junctions connecting Raqqah to the outside world.
— Sara Firth (@Sara__Firth) July 21, 2016Advertisement
We’ll investigate these reports and continue to do all we can to protect civilians from harm.
Being scrupulously careful to avoid civilian casualties and being transparent about this issue is a reflection of the civilized nature of this coalition.
People have taken to social media to express their frustration at the West’s reluctance to cover horrific attacks on innocent people who live in Muslim countries.
— Uzair Altaf (@Uzair_Here) July 20, 2016
— Religion of Peace (@reIigionofpeace) July 20, 2016Advertisement
84 civilians killed in Nice. Wall to wall media coverage.
84 civilians killed in Syria by US Airstrike. Radio silence.
— Irish Unity (@IrishUnity) July 21, 2016
This latest attack by the West is the deadliest on non-combatants since the campaign against Islamic State began two years ago.
Our thoughts are with those, all over the world, who have been caught up in this horrible conflict.