Yet another person has been badly injured by a Chinese escalator, in what should really be a massive wake up call for their manufacturers.
This time the incident happened at a shopping complex in Shanghai, and it comes days after a woman was caught on CCTV throwing her son to safety, moments before she was swallowed by one of the machines.
The following graphic footage shows a cleaner stepping onto the top of the stairway when some of the stairs give way and his foot becomes wedged in the gap.
He was immediately taken to hospital, but they couldn’t save his foot, and he had to have it amputated.
Chinese authorities report that in the first half of this year there have been 73 deaths and 82 injuries involving escalators. This is the third incident of its kind in a week.
Zhou Jigao, director of the construction business research committee under the Shanghai lawyer’s federation, told the China Daily newspaper:
Such accidents seem to happen by chance, but they all point to a loophole which is the lack of management and maintenance of escalators and elevators.Advertisement
WARNING: This footage could be distressing to some…