Giraffe Tragically Dies After Getting Head Stuck Between Two Trees In Zoo

0 Shares
Giraffe Tragically Dies After Getting Head Stuck Between Two Trees In Zoo AsiaWire GiraffeDeath 05 1AsiaWire

A popular giraffe has tragically died after getting it’s neck trapped in a tree in its zoo enclosure – despite keepers’ best efforts.

The giraffe, named Hairong, got its neck caught between two tree branches while trying to scratch an itch.

Ten-year-old Hairong, a male giraffe, had been living at the Kunming Zoo for five years until its sad death in freak circumstances.

Watch the video here – warning, it’s really sad:

Guests at the zoo in Kunming, capital city of south-western China's Yunnan Province, were horrified to see the mammal's neck lodged between the two thick branches.

It had often used that part of tree to scratch its neck, but on this day it tragically became stuck.

Staff at the zoo rushed to the enclosure, using a ladder to reach its head but unfortunately, found it was firmly lodged.

They tried sawing one of the branches off but were still unable to remove the animal's neck from the gap.

Giraffe Tragically Dies After Getting Head Stuck Between Two Trees In Zoo AsiaWireGiraffeAsiaWire

Crowds had gathered at the enclosure and 'could not look away from the morbid sight'.

One bystander filmed the distressing encounter and their video shows the moment Hairong collapses to the ground after its neck is finally freed from the trees.

The animal's head swings and hits a zookeeper on the way down.

Employees at the Kunming Zoo performed chest compressions and said the animal tried several times to stand up.

Giraffe Tragically Dies After Getting Head Stuck Between Two Trees In Zoo AsiaWire GiraffeDeath 01AsiaWire

However, it was pronounced dead by vets after having suffered a severe neck injury.

They believe he was attempting to scratch an itch when he snagged his neck between the branches.

The incident is under investigation.

Another giraffe had a near-death experience recently at West Midlands Safari Park when it smashed its head through a car window.

Giraffe Tragically Dies After Getting Head Stuck Between Two Trees In Zoo giraffe1 828x455 1MoMedia/YouTube

A couple were visiting the West Midlands Safari Park with their window down when the animal stooped down into their car.

Unsure how to fend the giraffe off, a female passenger winds the window up only for the glass to completely smash on its face.

A car beside the couple filmed the entire thing, which you can watch here:

Visitors are permitted to feed the animals during certain parts of the drive-through safari experience.

But as per park regulations, windows should be kept half-shut. They are also advised to keep their hands stretched outside of any vehicle during the feeding.

The consequences of not abiding by these rules can be seen in brutal proof, The Sun reported.

One commenter wrote:

Maybe you are not worried about your safety, but it is your duty,when you go into a safari, to consider the safety of the inmates of the safari, the lovely giraffe in this case.

That giraffe looks playful. Instead of closing the glass she could have patted it. Missed a golden chance. Anyway, don’t do this with the tiger or wolves or hyena and never with the lions.

Another said:

Closing the window after the giraffe’s head is already inside – what a vile moron that woman is!

Let’s just hope the giraffe is okay and nobody attempts to feed them in this way again.

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]