It was the hottest day of the year, and three dogs were trapped inside a sweltering car.
A chihuahua Staffie-cross and a mongrel had allegedly been left in the boot of silver Nissan in Bristol for two hours.
All the windows had been closed, and the poor animals could be seen panting in the 27C heat, just after the Met Office had issued a ‘threat to life’ warning.
You can watch the heroic rescue for yourself below:
Worried onlookers called for emergency services after noticing the three dogs in peril. Once at the scene, officers wanted to wait until the neglectful owners returned, reasoning the parking ticket was about to expire
However, some workmen were so concerned for the pooches’ welfare, they smashed the windows of the unventilated vehicle using a lump hammer, before unlocking the rear door.
Once they were able to get to the suffering dogs, kind hearted onlookers gave them a bowl of water to drink from.
A sheet was then draped over the rear windscreen to shade the overheated dogs, and a piece of paper had been used to make the following sign:
Dogs die in hot cars!
You have been reported to the police.
Lisa Eastman, a colleague of the workmen, said:
I stopped on the side of the road to do one of my jobs. As I stopped, the chap had the back boot opened, and I asked if they were going to be alright.
He said the shop did not allow dogs and he had given them some water. I kept on coming round every half hour.
We’ve done everything we could. We rang the police, the RSPCA. I will put my hand up and say we agreed to smash the window because it was necessary and I would do it again in a second.
Angry words were reportedly exchanged once the pet owner returned to their car.
A woman who had been accompanying the owner allegedly tried to defend their actions by saying the dogs had been placed on an ice blanket.
In a press release from June 2018, RSPCA Dogs Die in Hot Cars campaign manager Holly Barber urged:
It’s difficult to understand why we are still receiving so many calls when the weather improves and why owners are still dicing with their pet’s lives.
It’s simple – never leave your pet alone in a hot environment. Whether you’re popping into the shop for a newspaper or nipping into a pharmacy to pick up a prescription, please don’t take the risk.
Last week, we had more than 300 calls about animals in hot environments and this figure should be zero.
RSPCA dog welfare expert, Lisa Hens, added:
In an emergency, please dial 999 to report a dog in a hot car to police as they have the power to enter a vehicle to free the dog.
Sadly, the RSPCA has been made aware of far too many animals perishing inside vehicles due to the heat when their owners simply weren’t aware of the dangers of leaving their pets unattended during the warm weather.
Please don’t take the risk and either keep your dog with you or leave them at home in the cool.
It’s simple, only walk your dogs early in the morning or late at night, keep them cool, out of the sun and hydrated! How am I still seeing dogs with burnt pads, dogs dying in hot cars and of heat exhaustion. How thick and evil can people really be!?
— eleanor nicholls (@eleanorkate_) July 24, 2018
— Keele University (@KeeleUniversity) July 26, 2018
Surely I don’t have to remind you ….DO NOT LEAVE DOGS IN HOT CARS, NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE, WE WILL DIE, WE DON’T SWEAT LIKE YOU, WE OVERHEAT VERY QUICKLY, WE DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH BOILING FROM THE INSIDE OUT ..HARSH I KNOW, BUT TRUE SO DON’T BE AN IDIOT pic.twitter.com/bEuPmXS5BB
— Rupert MBE and Titch Gobshite (@RupertTitch) July 24, 2018
Well done to these caring workmen.
If you see a dog in a hot car and have concerns please contact the RSPCA’s 24-hour emergency line on 0300 1234 999 for advice. If it’s an emergency and you believe the dog needs immediate help please contact the police on 999 as police officers have the power to enter a vehicle and remove the animal.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]