A group of architects from the UK have set up a crowdfunding campaign via IndieGoGo to build a life-sized reconstruction of Minas Tirith from the Lord of the Rings. Their target? A cool £1.85billion.
These modern day Men of Gondor plan to build the city in the South of England, where contributors will be able to live and work within its walls.
Campaign leader Jonathan Wilson estimates that he will need £15million for land, £188million for labour, and the remaining £1.4billion will be used on construction materials.
Wilson says on the IndieGoGo site:
We are an ambitious team of architects and structural engineers who are passionate about creating a beautiful, inspirational and fully-functioning replica of Peter Jackson’s depiction of Minas Tirith, as seen in his Lord of the Rings films
The group have set the steep target of raising the money within just 60 days. Any money left over after the city is complete – estimated to be in around 2023 – will go towards maintenance and public services until 2053. In the highly unlikely event the architects do not reach their £1.85billion target, any money donated will be refunded to contributors.
Here are some of the rewards up for grabs:
– £25 will pay for your name on a plaque within Minas Tirith.
– £500 will get you a one night stay in one of Minas Tirith’s residences.
– £400,000 snags you a small one bedroom property with a 100-year lease.
– £825,000 and a swanky fourth level apartment for two is all yours.
– The top reward is for one of ten luxury four-bedroom penthouses that will set you back £1.72million. Why not get two?
For a full list of the rewards and the goals of the project, or to lend your support, go check out the IndieGoGo page.