These Proposed Friends Storylines Would’ve Made Everything Very Different
One of any 90s kids’s proudest skills is to be able to recite their endless Friends knowledge at any given moment.
After finding out the following facts, I had to totally reassess whether I was a true Friends fan because a lot of these came as a surprise.
Just imagining any other actors as the characters makes me so sad, I enter a sort of state of mourning.
Here are the most surprising original plot twists you never would have imagined were real.
1. The show was originally called Insomnia Cafe, before being renamed Friends Like Us, and then Six of One before finally coming to the one we know and love, Friends.
2. Ross and Rachel only became a central romance story line because of David Schwimmer and Jennifer Aniston’s natural chemistry, it was not originally intended.
3. Hank Azaria auditioned to play the role of Joey twice but was rejected so ended up playing David, Phoebe’s scientist boyfriend who went to Minsk.
4. Phoebe and Chandler were originally supposed to be supporting characters, with the main focus being on the four other friends.
5. NBC originally requested that there be only one main story line per episode with a couple of minor ones, but the Friends writers stood their ground about having three because they ‘didn’t want to make it like every other sitcom’.
6. Tea Leoni was originally cast as Rachel…mind blown.
7. You know the hilarious episode when Chandler and Monica go to the airport and try to get an upgrade? Well that was re-written to replace a scene where Chandler stupidly jokes about having a bomb, causing a sticky situation with security.
That scene was removed from the episode as it was due to air a couple of weeks after the 9/11 tragedy in 2001.
You can watch it here…
8. Joey wasn’t actually written as being a dim character but Matt LeBlanc brought that characteristic to the table.
9. There was originally going to be a father figure type character who all the friends could go to for advice. His name was Pat the Cop but he never made it as far as the pilot episode.
10. Joey and Monica were originally intended as the main love interests because they ‘just seemed the most sexual of the characters’, Marta Kauffman explained…that would have been so weird.
11. Ellen DeGeneres was offered the role of Phoebe but turned it down!
12. John Favreau, who played Monica’s millionaire boyfriend Pete Becker, was originally offered Chandler’s part.
13. The original theme tune was not I’ll Be There For You but Shiny Happy People by R.E.M – Can not imagine that at all.
So there you have it, just when you thought you knew everything, you’re entire Friends world gets shaken up.
Can’t imagine it any other way!
Most Read StoriesMost Read
Topics: Film and TV