How Mouldy Is Too Mouldy To Eat? Science Has The Answer

by : UNILAD on : 28 Oct 2015 15:54
Science Photo Library

At some point in life you’ll face this dilemma. You have a bit of bread with mould on but you really want that bacon sarnie and you’re too hungover to brave going to the shops… do you scrape it off and risk a miserable week spent to-ing and fro-ing from your bed to the bathroom, or just chuck it?

Well, scientists have now told us whether it’s bad to do this or not, and the answer is not too surprising – it’s a pretty resounding nope. Put that mould-ridden sarnie down!


The guys who carried out the research at Livescience say that green patches on your food is just the spore that gives it its colour, and the actual bacteria is embedded deep into your unwanted loaf. Grim.

If a mould contains mycotoxins they can cause respiratory problems or allergic reactions – which can prove fatal. But don’t panic, most moulds are in fact harmless, but it’s probably worth taking the less risky route and just get rid.

Warner Bros.

Well, at least now we know…

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Mysterious Monolith Like One Found In Utah Appears On Romanian Hill

Topics: Food


BBC News and 1 other