A mum has shared photos of her botched plastic surgery on social media to warn others about the risks involved.
Sally Roberts, from Wrexham, visited a ‘reputable salon’ on Saturday to have lip filler injections, which is a popular procedure.
Having done her research, Sally ensured that the nurse was qualified and that the salon had a good reputation.
At first it appeared that the injections had worked but the next day Sally was in agonising pain after suffering from an allergic reaction to the one millilitre of dermal filler.
Writing about her experience in a Facebook post, Sally said:
I was happy with the result [of the treatment] but by the following morning my lips had swelled to the point I couldn’t eat, drink or talk properly and was in absolute agony.
They continued to swell and the GP advised me to go straight to A&E as I was at risk of going into anaphylactic shock.
It is now thought I’ve had a severe allergic reaction to the filler and acquired a nasty infection.
After being in excruciating pain for days with rock hard, cracked, peeling, leaking lips, I am now on the mend.
Sally’s swollen lips were leaking liquid resulting in doctors giving her a mixture of steroids, antibiotics and pain relief to deal with the problem.
Sharing horrific photos and a hideous video of her damaged lips, Sally insists that her aim is only to warn people about the risks involved with cosmetic surgery rather than criticise it completely.
Admitting that she has had other procedures before which have been problem free, Sally wrote:
I’ve decided to share this to raise awareness of the risks of cosmetic procedures. No negative comments please- ‘serves you right…’ etc. I don’t need to hear it. I’m fully aware it was my decision.
This isn’t a post slating cosmetic surgery by the way as I love Botox and have never had any reactions with that, and I’ve always really wanted my lips done.
But this has been a massive eye opener for me. I looked like something out of a horror film.
So if you’re thinking about lip fillers, be prepared for the possibility of a BAD reaction. The last few days have been absolutely horrific, the infection has gone into my blood and made me really poorly. You never think things like this will happen to you. NEVER AGAIN.
In the post Sally also revealed that there are even more shocking pictures she hasn’t shared of her whole face disfigured due to the swelling.
Posted by Sally Roberts on Wednesday, 3 January 2018
In the past two days the post has gone viral receiving 4,000 likes and reactions as well 12,500 shares and over 2 million views for her video.
Ever since the likes of reality television stars Kylie Jenner and Charlotte Crosby have started advocating the bigger the pout the better, lip fillers have become increasingly popular.
As Sally has warned though, people must be aware of what could potentially happen and ensure they have done their research.
Emily Murray is a journalist at UNILAD. She graduated from the University of Leeds with a BA in English Literature and History before studying for a Masters in Journalism at the University of Salford. Emily has previously worked for the BBC, ITV and Trinity Mirror. When Emily isn’t writing about topics including mental health and entertainment, you can find her at the cinema which is her second home.