Over two years ago, the infamous and mysterious Malaysian Airlines flight, MH370, set off from Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing before seemingly vanishing with 239 people on board.
Since then, the fate of the aircraft has remained nothing short of a tragic mystery, but it has now been concluded that a collection of debris washed up just two months ago ‘almost certainly’ came from MH370.
The Transport Minister in Malaysia, Liow Tiong Lai, said that the two pieces of debris found were an engine cowling piece with a Rolls-Royce logo on it, as well as an interior panel piece from the aircraft cabin.
— ITV News (@itvnews) May 12, 2016
The cabin piece is a panel from the main cabin and believed to be part of a door closet. It is also thought to be the first interior part from the missing plane to be found, reports the Huffington Post.
The debris was examined by an international team of experts based in Australia, who after a long and drawn out process, concluded that both pieces were consistent with panels found on a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 aircraft.
Following the conclusion, Transport Minister Lai said:
As such, the team has confirmed that both pieces of debris from South Africa and Rodrigues Island are almost certainly from MH370.
Although, it’s not known exactly what happened to MH370, the new debris found suggests that it crashed in the Indian Ocean, where investigators are currently examining the marine life to try and narrow down the search and find out more about where the aircraft entered the ocean.
The debris was found washed up in Mauritius and South Africa, and is part of just a mere handful of official debris found since the disappearance.
Joseph Loftus is a Gold Standard NCTJ journalist with four years experience working for international and regional press.
As well as working for UNILAD and LADbible, Joseph has worked as Liverpool Correspondent for Unsigned & Independent Magazine, as well as stints with the Liverpool Echo and Warrington Guardian.