London Attacks: What We Know So Far
Police confirmed there is ‘more than one fatality’ in London after three incidents in London Bridge, Borough Market, and Vauxhall.
It was confirmed that the stabbing in Vauxhall was a separated, unrelated incident, though the incidents at London Bridge and Borough Market were declared as terrorist incidents.
Police confirmed that three attackers were shot dead by armed officers eight minutes after the first emergency call.
One victim of the attack is a transport police officer who was stabbed in the head, face, and arm, but remains in a stable condition in hospital.
At around 22.08 Saturday evening a van, travelling at ‘about 50mph’ mowed down pedestrians at London Bridge and witnesses reported hearing ‘tremendous gunfire’.
A short time later there were reports of three men carrying knives at Borough Market and a witness reported seeing armed police shooting at Brindisa tapas bar.
Scotland Yard confirmed that 12 people were arrested at a raid on addresses across Barking this morning.
Prime Minister Theresa May said:
Following updates from police and security officials, I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.
This is a fast moving investigation. I want to express my huge gratitude to the police and emergency services who are on the scene. Our thoughts are with those who are caught up in these dreadful events.
Footage was released of people in the Borough Market basement hiding for cover.
BBC reporter Holly Jones was on the bridge at the time of the incident and gave BBC News an eye-witness report, saying the van was driven by a man and was “probably travelling at about 50 miles an hour”.
Metropolitan police are advising people to run to a place of safety, hide or barricade yourself in, and call the police when it is safe.
Those who are ‘walking wounded’ are being taken by bus to Liverpool Street station and are being treated at a local hotel.
Members of the public were told by the police to ‘run as fast as they could’.
One social media user published a picture of a man on the ground with what appeared to be canisters strapped to his body.
A mile radius cordon was set up around London Bridge and police have asked anyone with images or footage to refrain posting on social media and instead upload it