A man turned up at hospital with a shower head stuck up his bum after ‘suffering a fall’ in the shower.
This story has so many holes in it, both metaphorically and physically.
The man, who (as you can understand) remains anonymous, turned up at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research in New Delhi, where he insisted he hadn’t put the shower head up there himself.
I’m really struggling to picture this ‘fall’ in the shower to be honest, but I’ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt for now.
The 26-year-old man had to detach the shower head from the pipe connecting it to the wall, and take himself off to the hospital.
Luckily, his vitals showed he was stable and there was no evidence of blood in his rectum.
Dr Peeyush Kumar wrote in the British Medical Journal:
A proper history and examination is mandatory to look for signs and symptoms of perforation and infection, such as fever, severe abdominal pain and bleeding.
History is often ambiguous and incomplete due to a high level of embarrassment and social stigma attached to the condition. The same was seen in our case.
Though the patient reported accidental insertion of the shower head and denied voluntary insertion, there is a high suspicion of voluntary insertion for auto-erotic purpose
It turns out two thirds of patients who come in with these sorts of emergencies are males in their 30s or 40s.
Speaking about other objects commonly found stuck in the rectum, Dr Kumar wrote:
A large variety of objects have been reported, including bottles, cans, glass bulbs, stones, small rods, fruits and vegetables, vibrators, dildos and toys.
Insertion of objects for auto-erotic purposes is the most common cause of rectal foreign bodies.
Other common causes include accidents and assaults. The presentation is often delayed, and history is often improper.
Two-thirds of the patients are males in their 30s or 40s, who use such objects for auto-erotic purposes.
It’s a strange trend of unfortunate situations, and it reminds me of when a gym-goer was rushed to hospital after getting his penis stuck in a hole in a weight.
The unnamed fitness fanatic was subject to three hours of procedures using specialist equipment to remove the 2.5kg weight from the area, using a saw and a grinder to release his delicates.
It’s currently not known how he came to get his penis stuck in the weight (though we can probably make a relatively accurate guess) and the images were leaked online, presumably without his knowledge.
The image was intended for official use of the hospital in Germany, though inevitably it’s ended up plastered all over social media, instigating an investigation by the hospital to find out just how the images came to be leaked.
The fire brigade also shared an image of the broken weight, saying it was a ‘curious training accident’:
These strange situations always make me wonder how awkward the 999 call would have been.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected].