Ford is recalling up to 1.4 million cars because the steering wheel can come off, according to reports.
The move has come as a result of pressure from US regulators, who has insisted that the manufacturer recall the huge number of ‘midsize’ cars in the fear that the steering wheel could snap off and people could be seriously hurt.
Models which are included in the recall are Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ cars which were made between 2014 and 2018, according to the Daily Mail.
Ford has already admitted that it knows of two crashes and one injury which has been caused by the problem.
The bolts in the steering wheels can apparently loosen over time, so the manufacturer is going to replace them with longer ones which will stop them coming loose.
Individual owners will be notified in the post on the week of April 30, with parts said to be available at that point.
— Thomas Rose (@thetroseshow) March 14, 2018
The problem also affects many drivers across Canada and Mexico, and comes as a result of an investigation from the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The agency found that it began the probe after it received three complaints, including one from a driver in Georgia whose steering wheel allegedly fell into their lap as they turned into a petrol station.
Hyundai had a similar problem in February and had to recall 43,900 cars which were at risk from the faulty steering wheel.
Ford are also reportedly in a legal dispute with WWE star John Cena for selling his extremely rare 2017 GT supercar in December of last year.
According to Ford, the 40-year-old professional wrestler had been chosen out of thousands of applicants to buy the $500,000 car, of which only 1,000 models were ever made.
Other notable people to own one of these elusive GTs include baseball pitcher Justin Verlander and race car driver Joey Logano.
However, as part of his contract, Cena was forbidden from selling the luxury sports vehicle for two years.
After he broke this rule – reportedly making a healthy profit in the process – Ford decided to take legal action.
According to TMZ, Ford said at the time:
Mr. Cena has unfairly made a large profit from the unauthorized resale flip of the vehicle and Ford has suffered additional damages and losses, including, but not limited to, loss of brand value, ambassador activity and customer goodwill due to the improper sale.
Ford has announced they will be suing John Cena for selling his $500,000 2017 Ford GT which was a violation of their contract that Cena must keep the vehicle for at least 2 years before selling it.
— The 434 (@TheFourThree4) December 1, 2017
However, Cena is now claiming that the paperwork never mentioned anything about the clause which prevented him from flipping the car.
He is looking to throw the case out.