A kennel which was accused of wrapping a customer’s dead dog in tape has spoken out about why they did it.
In December 27, 2018, Kirsten Kinch, from Dublin, entrusted a boarding kennels to look after her dog, Nova, while she travelled to Iceland with her family.
Although the dog was taking steroids for colitis, Nova was said to be in good health when Kirsten left.
However, when the owner returned just a few days later to collect the Husky, staff at the kennels informed her that the dog had been discovered bleeding in her kennel, and had later died.
View this post on Instagram
On the 27th of December 2018 I brought my husky Nova to P&E boarding kennels to be boarded for 3 days while my family went to Iceland. Nova had an ongoing issue with Colitis and this was being managed with steroids for the last few months successfully, she had been checked by my vet prior to boarding and we had discussed taking her off the steroids as she was responding so well. I gave multiple written and verbal instructions on how the steroid was to be given separately to her food and that she needs to get this twice a day, P&E also advertise that they cater for medication and dogs that need extra care once they are informed in advance. On the 31st of December I went straight from the airport to P&E to collect Nova. I rang 4 times waiting outside to pick her up. Clive answered and told me to come around to the gate when I told him I was here for Nova. Once in, we were told Nova had died – they had found her that morning bloodied in her kennel. We where shocked and beyond devastated at this as we had left a healthy dog in 3 days earlier. I asked the kennels immediately if she had received her medication and I was told she had. They had crushed Nova into what I can only describe as a ball wrapped in a black bag, covered in masking tape. There was no care or empathy in the way she had been handled. It was utterly traumatic and heartbreaking to leave with her like that. We drove straight to the vet and she was horrified, and couldn’t believe there was a 25kg husky crammed in this ball. We confirmed via microchip that it was Nova and made the decision to send Nova for a postmortem in UCD due to the circumstances. I emailed and messaged P&E asking for more information on how she had seemed when she was with them etc. and I still have not received any kind of contact back. Nova was a once in a lifetime kind of dog for me and my family and has left a hole that will always be impossible to fill, she is loved and missed every single day and I hope writing this can stop a similar situation in the future. Clearly these kennels are not fit to provide the levels of care they advertise. #justicefornova
Kirsten was met with a shocking sight when she was taken to see her beloved pet, who had been wrapped in a plastic bag, which was covered in tape.
The kennels have since spoken out about the situation, claiming they had administered all of Nova’s drugs correctly, and that her body was tightly sealed on the advice of a vet.
Speaking to the Metro, Paddy Cullen, from P&E boarding kennels, said the dog had died on her third day in the kennels. He implied she had parvo virus, which is a contagious viral illness.
He explained the dog was wrapped up to prevent any of the other dogs in the kennels from being infected, saying:
We went down to let out the dogs first thing in the morning but when we got there, the dog was dead. There was a big pile of blood from her behind.
I rang the vet and was told to wrap up the dog so as not to infect the other dogs.
What other way could we do it? We were concerned about the spread of parvo virus. We were told to seal the bag so nothing could escape.
It was such a big dog that we couldn’t put the body in the freezer and we were expecting the family back from holiday in a few hours.
This is utterly HORRIFIC. P&E Boarding Kennels and Cattery in Dublin have so much to answer for. My heart absolutely breaks for this poor family. pic.twitter.com/57RALoatwn
— Helen 🌒🌕🌘 (@Helen_Something) April 23, 2019
Kirsten shared her version of the events on Facebook, where she accused the kennels of treating the dog with ‘little care and empathy’.
There are no words to describe how upsetting and traumatic it was to carry her to the car and take her home in what seemed a completely inhuman way.
Paddy told the Metro that since Kirsten took to Facebook, the company has been the target of hate mail.
Only takes a second guys, I’m not one for petitions but my heart hurt after reading this:(( Irish Boarding Kennels and Cattery Association: Shut down P&E boarding kennels Crumlin – Sign the Petition! https://t.co/JIMAKO2PyN via @Change
— Eimear Wildes (@eimearw_) April 24, 2019
Since the lady put it on Facebook, we have had nothing but hate mail and death threats and people saying they will burn down our house.
I am very sorry that her dog passed and it happened to pass while she was here with us.
Nova’s body was sent for a post mortem, which gave the cause of death as internal bleeding, though it was inconclusive about whether or not the steroids had been administered correctly.
If you have a story you want to tell, send it to [email protected]co.uk.
Emily Brown first began delivering important news stories aged just 13, when she launched her career with a paper round. She graduated with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University, and went on to become a freelance writer and blogger. Emily contributed to The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Student Problems before becoming a journalist at UNILAD, where she works on breaking news as well as longer form features.