August is coming to a close and so starts the time we’re all dreading; spider season.
And this year it is even worse as the spiders that are invading your homes are bigger than ever.
The creepy crawlies are apparently coming into our homes in search of, first of all, a mate and secondly, some warmth.
People have already been spotting the huge arachnids in their houses but more and more will soon arrive apparently.
The Manchester Evening News reported that Andrew Taylor of Heywood was alerted to several spiders who were big enough to set off his burglar alarm.
Meanwhile, Sports Physio UK posted on a photo of an unwelcome visitor they found at their office.
There are more than 35,000 different species of spiders in the world, 650 of which are found in the UK.
Although they have an unsettling appearance, they do help protect our homes and gardens by keeping them pest free.
However, many people are understandably scared of them and so below are s few helpful tips on how to keep spiders away from your home.
1) Regularly hoover and make sure you focus on particularly sheltered spots.
2) Leave little bowls of lemon juice in ‘problem areas’ and rub lemon peel onto door and window frames as spiders hate citrus.
3) Douse your house in strong-smelling oils such as lavender, tea tree and peppermint that spiders loathe.
4) Plug-in devices that pulsate throbbing ultrasonic sound-waves allegedly repel spiders.
5) Turn off lights as then your home will be less attractive to insects that spiders feed on.
Hopefully these can help lessen your anxiety over what could be lurking in those dark corners…
Emily Murray is a journalist at UNILAD. She graduated from the University of Leeds with a BA in English Literature and History before studying for a Masters in Journalism at the University of Salford. Emily has previously worked for the BBC, ITV and Trinity Mirror. When Emily isn’t writing about topics including mental health and entertainment, you can find her at the cinema which is her second home.