At Least 50 Dead In Suicide Attack At Nigerian Mosque


At least 50 people have died after a suicide bomber attacked a mosque in Nigeria during morning prayers.

The bomb was apparently detonated by a man in his teens who was carrying the explosives in north-eastern Adamawa state.

The suicide attack is one of the deadliest in the region for years, according to reports from The Independent.

Immediate suspicions were aimed at Islamist extremists Boko Haram, but there has been no official claim of the attack at the time of writing.

Police spokesman Othman Abubakar said the man detonated his bomb while he was mingling among the worshippers in the mosque.

Ahmed Musa, chairman of Mubi council, reported there were dozens of injuries, and at least 50 dead, though the exact number of deaths are not known at this time.

The victims of the attack have been sent to different hospitals, meaning it is difficult to accurately track numbers at this early stage.

The terrorist group did once have a hold over the Adamawa territory back in 2014, but they were pushed out by the Nigerian army with the help of neighbouring countries in 2015.

It has been claimed the attack bears a strong resemblance to the terrorist group, who tend to attack crowded mosques and other areas for a maximum death count.


Boko Haram has been known to kidnap young people and use them to carry out their suicide attacks.

A report a couple of years ago found that more than one in five of all suicide missions by the group were carried out by children, 75 per cent of which are female.

Unicef’s report, Beyond Chibok, showed that the number of children involved in suicide attacks in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger increased from four to 44 in just 12 months in 2015.

The terrorist group was widely publicised in 2014 for the kidnapping of almost 300 schoolgirls in Chibok.


The kidnappings led to an international response with the hashtag #bringbackourgirls going global, prompting some of the world’s most powerful figures adopting it to share the message.

Other than drawing mass attention to the atrocity, the campaign had limited success – with 113 of the girls still missing.

The group have also reportedly beheaded six farmers and made a seventh watch to tell the tale, according to International Business Times.

The group has been blamed for over 20,000 deaths and disruption of the lives of 2.6 million people since its birth in 2009.


Jiddah Ahmad, brother of one of the slain farmers, told a local newspaper:

My brother was working the farm together with other farmers. They were accosted by the insurgents when they went to fetch water at a river.

The insurgents shot my brother before beheading him and beheaded another farmer on the same spot while an old farmer was set free.

The group are an extreme form of Sunni Islamists who wish to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria, and despite military defeat, there are still increasing levels of violence in certain parts of the country.


Our thoughts are with the friends and families of those affected by both of the recent attacks.