Alfie Evans Died Overnight, Parents Confirm

by : UNILAD on : 28 Apr 2018 07:14

Alfie Evans has died after having his life support was switched off.


The news broke at 2.30am.

Alfie’s father, Tom Evans paid tribute to his son on Facebook:

My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings at 02:30, absolutely heartbroken. I LOVE YOU MY GUY


Just recently, up to 200 people had been protesting outside Alder Hey Children’s Hospital after European human rights judges rejected a plea to intervene from his mum and dad.

Alfie, just 23-months-old, had been fighting for his life since 2016 when he contracted a chest infection, triggering a spiral of different illnesses.

After being taken to hospital for treatment of his chest infection, Alfie began having severe epileptic seizures and was diagnosed with bronchitis, the common cold, a chest infection, RSV [respiratory syncytial virus], pneumonia and two other illnesses which left him exhausted.

Posted by Thomas Evans on Monday, 23 April 2018

At the beginning of 2017, Alfie’s parents were told he would only have hours to live, but he defied all expectations and fought off three infections.

Despite ‘coming off life support three times’ and managing to take breaths here and there, the parents claimed doctors at Alder Hay Hospital suggested it was best to switch off Alfie’s life support machine.

In a Facebook post at the time, Thomas said:


Doctors tried pushing us into turning off his life-support machine, but we refused then and always will.

We stayed with him all day and night, sang to him, loved him, kissed him, hugged him and begged him to stay! From that day he has fought and is still here.

He has continually defied all odds, and proven Drs and nurses wrong about him surviving and is still fighting! We still get asked by doctors removing his life-support machine but he can fight, and he does so come of it in his own time.

He added:

He is currently intubated and has a ventilator helping him to breath, but is also seen by doctors and family taking breaths himself . He has come off life support 3 times and shown he can manage a maximum of 13 days without the ventilator.

Doctors are saying they have exhausted all (their) diagnostic testing and they consulted with GOSH [Great Ormond Street Hospital] for a second “opinion” but neither parties can find out what is wrong with Alfie , and therefore Alder Hay is asking us to terminate all life-support measures and “allow him to die peacefully”.

Parents Tom Evans and Kate James failed to persuade Supreme Court justices to consider their case on 20 April.

They had beseeched judges at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg, France, Metro reports.

The pair, from Liverpool, had wanted to move Alfie from Alder Hey to a hospital in Rome.

RIP Alfie.

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677.

Topics: News