China Accused Of Forcing Families To Live In Metal Boxes In ‘Quarantine Camps’
Footage shared on social media appears to provide an insight into so-called ‘quarantine camps’ in China where ‘millions’ are alleged to be in lockdown.
Videos doing the rounds online depict a dystopian scene with dozens of white metal boxes lined up in rows while people dressed in white protective clothing gather outside.
The cubicles appear in one video to be located on the grounds of a sports stadium, though posts suggest there may be a number of locations with varying degrees of quality. Some reports claim that extreme lockdown measures are being taken following a spike in coronavirus cases ahead of the Beijing Winter Olympics.
One video claims to have come from inside one of the metal buildings, with the occupant showing it contains one bed and a small, seemingly grimy bathroom.
Another shows staff leaving trays of food on shelves outside the units, all while dressed in protective clothing, while a third shows a child looking through bars on a window, with the poster claiming that ‘Sometimes kids will be locked alone without their parents guardianship.’
Earlier this month, BBC News reported that residents in the Mingde 8 Yingli housing compound in the Chinese city of Xi’an were told they had to leave their homes and go to quarantine facilities shortly after midnight on January 1.
It is not known how many of the residents were told they had to move, but one person online claimed as many as 1,000 people were relocated into quarantine. The comment, posted by an affected resident and cited by BBC News, claimed there was ‘nothing’ at the facility but ‘basic necessities’.
They continued: ‘Nobody has come to check up on us, what kind of quarantine is this? They did a big transfer of us, more than a thousand people, in the night and many of us are elderly people and children. They didn’t make any proper arrangements and so they just carelessly placed us [here].’
Footage allegedly taken from the facilities comes after authorities in Xi’an enacted drastic measures in the city, which fell at the centre of China’s latest coronavirus outbreak. All 13 million residents were told to stay indoors and restricted from leaving even to buy food or supplies, BBC News reports.
There are hopes the outbreak will be eliminated before the Olympics begin on February 4.
If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]
Most Read StoriesMost Read