Couple’s Heart-Breaking Final Phone Calls While Trapped In Grenfell Tower


A couple trapped inside their home in Grenfell Tower made heart-breaking final phone calls to their families.

The Italian couple, who were living on the 23rd floor, phoned their families in Italy during their final moments.

Gloria Trevisan and Marco Gottardi made the devastating calls in the middle of the night, thanking their parents ‘for all they had done’.


The couple, who were engaged, told their parents they wanted to say goodbye, according to the Daily Mail, with Miss Trevisan telling her mother:

Thank you for what you have done for me.

Mr Gottardi bravely played down their fears but eventually admitted that smoke was rising around them and flames were coming up the stairs.


The couple, who were both architecture graduates, moved to London just three months ago, in hope of finding work.

According to a lawyer for the families, the unimaginable phone call left them with no hope that either would survive the blaze.

Mr Gottardi reportedly phoned his family at 3:45am and again just after 4am.


Marco’s father Giannino told Italian newspaper Il Mattino di Padova:

In the first call Marco told us not to worry, that everything was under control, that basically we must not worry.

He was trying to minimise what happened, probably not to unsettle us but in the second call – and I can’t get this out of my head – he said there was smoke, that so much smoke was rising.


Marco’s father added:

We were on the phone until the last moment.

At 4.07am he told us their apartment was flooded with smoke and that the situation had become an emergency.

The communications broke down and from that moment on we no longer had any contact – the phone didn’t pick up again.


Miss Trevisan called her parents at 3am, saying a fire had broken out and that they were waiting for help.

Her father Loris said:

They wanted to go down but said they could see flames going up the stairs and the smoke was more and more intense.


Ms Trevisan’s father said that when the phone cut out, he made ‘hundreds’ of attempts to phone his daughter back but they were all unsuccessful.

Maria Cristina Sandrin, the family lawyer said:

I’ve heard the recording of Gloria talking to her mother and there is no hope to find them alive.

She said goodbye. She said, ‘Thank you mother for what you have done for me’.


Sandrin said the families wanted to bring the couple’s remains home to Italy but added:

We don’t know in what condition we will find the bodies, if we will find the bodies.

Anyone concerned about a missing family member of friend is advised by police to call the Casualty Bureau on 0800 0961 233.