Court Of Appeals Rejects Donald Trump’s Action To Reinstate Travel Ban
A U.S. court has rejected President Donald Trump’s attempt to reinstate his travel ban.
Three judges at the San Fransisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the nationwide temporary restraining order imposed last week will stay in place, meaning the president’s executive order banning travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries will remain blocked.
The 3-0 unanimous ruling said the government had not proved the terror threat justified reviving the ban, noting that it had provided ‘no evidence’ that any travellers from the ban’s targeted countries had committed terror offences in the United States.
The court added that the ban raised ‘serious allegations’ and presented ‘significant constitutional questions.’
The ruling means that people from Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya can now enter the United States. Refugees from around the world, who were also subject to the travel ban, are no longer blocked.
“It’s a political decision, we’re going to see them in court, and I look forward to doing that,” Trump told reporters in the White House on Thursday. “It’s a decision that we’ll win, in my opinion, very easily.”
Moments after the ruling, Trump tweeted, “SEE YOU IN COURT,” adding that “THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!”
In response, Washington Govenor Jay Inslee, a Democrat leading one of the states that challenged the ban, said: “Mr. President, we just saw you in court, and we beat you.”
Others were also quick to jump on Trump’s response to the decision made by the three-judge panel:
But perhaps the most powerful subtweet came from Trump’s former presidential race opponent, Hillary Clinton:
Referring to the three judges who ruled against Trump, Clinton’s tweet reflects many other politicians’ beliefs that Trump’s ban was unconstitutional, taking this ruling as means for celebration.
But it’s not over yet. As the BBC reports, the case is now likely to end up at the highest court, the U.S. Supreme Court.