Essex Girl ‘Moments From Death’ After False Widow Bite In Her Home


Fucking spiders.

They’re everywhere these days. And the worst of the lot are false widows, the most poisonous of all the spiders found in the UK.

This factory worker from Essex has a cautionary tale about them. Courtney Mates, 20, went into anaphylactic shock after being bitten by one, and had to be saved by paramedics, The Mirror reports.

She spotted a false widow in her home, before noticing a small red mark on the inside of her knee. She didn’t think much of it, but the next day the swelling had spread.

Courtney-Mates-False-widow-biteVia The Mirror

She went to the nurse at work but it got even worse. She said:

My trousers were rubbing against it at work so I went to the nurse at work who gave me some antihistamine. An hour and a half later I started falling unconscious and I was hearing high pitched noises in my ears.

She added:

We had to call the paramedics and they said I had all the symptoms of a bite from a false widow


After the incident Courtney, who ironically has a spider tattoo, suffered from five days of blurred vision and difficulty in staying on two feet. For the next 48 hours she was so tired she couldn’t get out of bed, and felt incredibly ill.

She has warned people to be on the lookout for the spiders.