First Victim Of London Attack Identified As Christine Archibald

0 Shares
Twitter

Canadian national Christine Archibald has been named as the first fatality of Saturday night’s terror attack on London.

Her family revealed the former homeless shelter worker had moved to Europe to be with her fiancé.

Seven people were killed after the attack which was initiated on London Bridge on Saturday 3rd June, shortly after 10pm. A total of 48 people were injured, 36 of which are receiving treatment in hospital.

PA

As reported by Sky News, Arhcibald’s family issued a heartfelt tribute to their daughter:

We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected.

She lived this belief working in a shelter for the homeless until she moved to Europe to be with her fiancé. She would have had no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death.

Please honour her by making your community a better place. Volunteer your time and labour or donate to a homeless shelter. Tell them Chrissy sent you.

PA

Canada’s prime minister Justin Trudeau said in response to the news:

These hateful acts do not deter us; they only strengthen our resolve.

Canadians stand united with the British people. We will continue to work together with the United Kingdom and all our allies to fight terrorism and bring perpetrators to justice.

Getty

Police attended the scene of a ‘major incident’ at London Bridge, after a white van reportedly mounted the curb at speed, hitting pedestrians.

‘Multiple resources’ have been dispatched to the area, with reports of casualties being treated at the scene.

There have also been unconfirmed reports of gun shots in the area as well as a knife attack and stabbings.

PA

Witnesses have said they heard police firing into Brindisa Tapas bar not far away from London Bridge.

Police also attended a third incident in the Vauxhall area, but later announced it was not linked to incidents at London Bridge or Borough Market and the station was reopened.

London Bridge was closed in both directions in the aftermath, with Southwark Bridge also closed and further closures on Borough High Street.

Holly Jones – a BBC reporter – was on the bridge when the incident occurred and believe she saw a man driving the vehicle who was ‘probably travelling at about 50 miles an hour’.

She added:

He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people. He hit about two people in front of me and then three behind.

I’d say there are about four severely injured people. They all have paramedics assisting them at the moment.

Holly believed she saw five or six people injured, before a man with his shirt off was handcuffed and arrested by police.

She also claimed to have seen a French woman among her who said she didn’t know where her two companions are she was with on the bridge previously.

Police urged people to remain vigilant, advising they should to ‘Run, Hide, and Tell‘ in the event of an attack.

Our thoughts are with all those affected, the victims and their families at this difficult time.