A huge explosion heard across Greater Manchester was caused by a device packed ‘full of nails and screws’ and not an industrial firework, police have revealed.
The device, which exploded outside The Lounge cafe in Salford- after it was left under the front shutters earlier this week – caused an explosion which was heard across Greater Manchester at around 12.30am on Tuesday.
According to Manchester Evening News, Greater Manchester Police said the device is still the subject of forensic examinations but it’s not thought to be terror-related.
— BreakingNNow (@BreakingNNow) September 16, 2017
Sources also told the paper the device was ‘packed full of nails and screws’ and said forensics have been ‘pulling them all out of the woodwork’.
Three days earlier, a car was badly damaged when an industrial style firework was attached to it, in a street in Eccles, also in Greater Manchester.
Manchester bang was apparently a cafe in salford. Fire crew on the scene. pic.twitter.com/O6eTblBART
— Carys Jones (@CarysJones36) September 12, 2017
Police are now investigating whether the two incidents could be linked.