Iran plans to launch missiles later today as part of a military exercise, despite U.S. sanctions over a test firing they made last weekend.
On the Revolutionary Guards’ Sepah news website, they said the launch would show their ‘complete preparedness to deal with the threats’ and ‘humiliating sanctions’ from Washington, Sky News reports.
They added that different types of radar and missile systems will be used in the exercise, alongside cyber warfare systems.
According to a list published on their website, the missiles will only be very short-range- reaching a distance of up to 47 miles.
Iran is playing with fire – they don't appreciate how "kind" President Obama was to them. Not me!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 3, 2017
Before President Trump imposed new sanctions on Iran on Friday, he took to Twitter to say the country was ‘officially on notice’, after tested medium-range missiles and showing support for Yemeni rebels.
The new U.S. defence secretary, James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis, branded Iran as ‘the single biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world’, but he added that their were currently no plans to increase troop numbers in the region.
They have also warned that the new penalties, which affect 13 people and 12 companies, will not be the last.
President Obama had previously agreed to lift sanctions on Iran, after it halted its nuclear programme – but Trump has previously spoken about his contempt for the agreements.
Iran is now poised to retaliate against the restrictions and the U.S. travel ban, by barring some individuals and companies that the foreign ministry said had a role in ‘the creation and support of extreme terrorist groups in the region’.