What do the leader of ISIS, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin all have in common?
No, not that. They’re all in the running to be named the official Person of the Year for 2015.
It sounds like the beginning of a bad joke but, no, this is in fact real life.
To be fair, Time’s famous 88-year running ‘Person of the Year’ award isn’t necessarily handed to the best celebrity figure of the last 12 months, but rather the person who has had the greatest impact on humanity – be it good or bad.
For that reason, this year’s eight nominees are a clear reflection of a troubling and often dark 2015, with a lot of awful, awful humans dominating the headlines.
Past winners have included Adolf Hitler and Martin Luther King, Jr – just to give you an idea of what we’re dealing with here.
Here’s this year’s eight nominees. With a couple of notable exceptions, get ready to weep for the state of humanity…
1. Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS
2. Black Lives Matter activists
3. Caitlyn Jenner, former athlete and TV personality
4. Travis Kalanick, Uber CEO
5. Angela Merkel, German chancellor
6. Vladimir Putin, Russian president
7. Hassan Rouhani, Iranian president
8. Donald Trump, U.S. presidential candidate
Time are set to announced the winner of their Person of the Year award on Wednesday morning. We really hope it goes to one of the good guys…
Experienced Social Media and Digital Marketing Manager, with over eight years working in social media, paid social, website management, blogging and marketing.