James Gunn’s Suicide Squad Movie Is A Complete Reboot
Suicide Squad was an utter car crash from start to end, essentially a two-hour-long lesson in how not to make a film.
Although the premise behind it was promising, the result only brought pain.
Honestly, deciding to give the movie a second chance by seeing it again in the cinema is one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
However, a follow-up was always going to be commissioned since the film was somehow a box office success, something I’ll never understand.
Thus The Suicide Squad was announced, with James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) stepping in to re-write the screenplay and direct.
It appears Warner Bros. have learnt their lesson though, as the film won’t be a sequel, but instead ‘a total reboot’.
Rebooting a commercially successful film only three years after it was released, really does tell us everything about the quality of the original movie… i.e. that it’s garbage.
DC Extended Universe producer Peter Safran revealed that the upcoming film will indeed be a reboot in an interview with JoBlo.
Asked ‘how excited should people be for Suicide Squad 2‘, Safran clarified things:
First of all, we don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 ‘cause it’s a total reboot, so it’s The Suicide Squad and I think people should be extremely excited about it. It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot.
Although I want to trust both Safran and Gunn, this is exactly what they said about the first Suicide Squad and look how that all turned out!
Gunn is set to be very busy over the next couple of years as not only is he directing The Suicide Squad, but on Friday he was reinstated as the director for Marvel’s third Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Last year he was fired by Disney after right-wing commentator Mike Cernovich brought to light several controversial tweets Gunn made a decade ago concerning paedophilia and rape.
However, with the support of the cast behind him, Gunn was rehired, much to his delight as well as fans’.
I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months. I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be.
I deeply appreciate Disney’s decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all.
I have been and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support.
As a Guardian once said, ‘we are Groot’.
If you have a story you want to tell, send it to [email protected]
Topics: News, 'Biggest Funnel Web' Spider, 'Hotels with Heart' Pilot, 'Legal' Drink, 'Physical Activity' Spike, 'Skull-Breaker' Challenge, (My) Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys, (My) Truth: The Rape of Two Coreys, #metoo, #MillionsMissing, $100 Million
CreditsJoBlo and 1 other