Controversial telly personality Katie Hopkins will no longer be writing for the Mail Online.
The contract for the 42-year-old’s opinion column was reportedly not renewed ‘by mutual consent’. The column had ran for two years, with the subject matter often sparking anger among readers.
A Mail Online statement to Press Gazette said:
Katie’s contract was not renewed by mutual consent.
Katie’s last column discussed her decision to wear her wedding dress from her first marriage while attending the Conservative Party Conference.
This was apparently a statement about her thoughts on how Brexit is being handled, as well as a show of her support for The Campaign for Family Law Reform.
Writing in her final ever Mail Online column, she said:
I came to Conference in my wedding dress not only to protest the divorce from the EU Theresa [May] has failed to deliver, but to champion the sort of divorce I believe is better for other couples too.
Katie Hopkins is leaving the Mail Online by ‘mutual consent’. Here's a quick reminder of what she thinks about that phrase. pic.twitter.com/uzMeZR8oGt
— Mark Savage (@mrdiscopop) November 27, 2017
Katie’s Mail Online column being axed comes months after she lost her LBC radio station spot after making remarks in a now deleted tweet about the Manchester Arena attack – calling for a ‘Final Solution’ over Twitter.
This wasn’t the only time this year the former Apprentice star has caused serious offence. In March Katie was forced to pay £107,000 in legal fees and £24,000 in damages to food writer Jack Monroe following a libel case.
In a since deleted tweet, Katie insinuated Jack approved of the defacing of war memorials during an anti-austerity protest. Jack proceeded to take Katie to court on charges on defamation.
Watch Katie in action below:
[ooyala autoplay=”true” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”854″ height=”480″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l” code=”JpaXNoZDE6DtnX7Z9oHDF-j7bxARQb9o”]
Katie was recently forced to cancel a book launch at the Lewes Speakers Festival after over 100 people appeared on the streets to protest her appearance, carrying banners and chanting slogans.
Concerned for the media personality’s safety, police officers later confirmed the launch had been cancelled, with Katie having left the building.
Katie later tweeted:
Protestors in Lewes. Please be clear. I have left the building. Please disperse peacefully. My thanks to @sussex_police
— Simon Dack (@simondackpix) November 25, 2017
Katie Hopkins has yet to make a statement about leaving the Mail Online. Usually a prolific presence on social media, it appears she has begun to delete her tweets.
Today she tweeted:
I just registered to DeleteAllTweets.com to delete all my Tweets instantly!
Perhaps unsurprisingly, plenty of people were happy about the contentious column being cut.
One person said: ‘Best news all day…how she even gets air time or a column is beyond me…she is so irrelevant and her position is always questionable- beyond pathetic’.
Another person noted: ‘Looks like she’ll have to do all her hate speech on twitter’.
‘Katie Hopkins sacked by MailOnline’ pic.twitter.com/61iCLf3Vyu
— Ryan Love (@RyanJL) November 27, 2017
Best news all day…how she even gets air time or a column is beyond me…she is so irrelevant and her position is always questionable- beyond pathetic
— Mishari 78 (@mishari78) November 27, 2017
Looks like she'll have to do all her hate speech on twitter?? pic.twitter.com/05B09HXz3O
— ??United redfc?? (@united_red_fc) November 27, 2017
“Mutual Consent” ?
— BTH (@silenceoforome) November 27, 2017
Going forward, Katie Hopkins apparently has plans in the pipeline to begin a weekly online TV programme, according to the Evening Standard.