Logan Paul has been punished a second time after he was finally handed a severe punishment by YouTube, one week after uploading a video to their platform of the aftermath of suicide.
The 22-year-old YouTube ‘prankster’ shocked the masses when he travelled to Japan’s so-called Suicide Forest and filmed a man hanging from a tree.
He later edited the video and chose to include his own reactions in the clip in a disrespectful and distasteful display of ignorance, masquerading as a mission to raise suicide prevention awareness.
As well as YouTube removing the him from their lucrative Preferred Ads program and cancelling his Youtube Red movie The Thinning: New World Order, Paul has received a second wave of well-deserved punishment.
French digital media network Blackpills has axed a series that was in the works with both Paul and the mobile-first entertainment studio Cupertino Productions.
Paul was set to create, produce, and star in the short-form series.
The production company told Variety in a statement:
Logan Paul’s previously announced project with Blackpills is no longer in development, and Blackpills will not be pursuing it at any time in the future.
I just received an official statement from a contact at @Youtube regarding the outrage and controversy around Logan Paul’s (now self-removed) “We found a dead body” top trending Youtube video.
I’ll save my personal comment for later. Just wanted to pass this along. pic.twitter.com/JNTQDMVvT4
— Philip DeVeryStableGenius (@PhillyD) January 2, 2018
A YouTube spokesperson told Polygon:
In light of recent events, we have decided to remove Logan Paul’s channels from Google Preferred. Additionally, we will not feature Logan in season 4 of Foursome and his new Originals are on hold.
Logan earlier issued a written apology on his Twitter, which reads:
Dear Internet, where do I begin. Let’s start with this – I’m sorry. This is a first for me. I’ve never faced criticism like this before, because I’ve never made a mistake like this before. I’m surrounded by good people and believe I make good decisions, but I’m still a human being. I can be wrong.
I didn’t do it for views. I get views. I did it because I thought I could make a positive ripple on the internet, not cause a monsoon of negativity. That’s never the intention.
I intended to raise awareness for suicide and suicide prevention and while I thought ‘if this video saves just one life it’ll be worth it’, I was misguided by shock and awe, as portrayed in the video.
I do this sh*t everyday. I’ve made a 15 minute TV show EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past 460+ days. One may understand that it’s easy to get caught up in the moment without assessing the possible ramifications.
I’m often reminded of how big of a reach I truly have & with great power comes great responsibility… for the first time in my life. I’m regretful to say I handled that power incorrectly. It won’t happen again.
Even controversial YouTuber PewDiePie wasn’t buying the apology, branding Paul a ‘straight up sociopath’, according to The Sun
With huge global followings, particularly among young people, it’s about time YouTube pranksters like Paul started taking responsibility for their content and being punished appropriately when they mess up.
More importantly, Paul cannot go unpunished for trying to monetise suicide.
If you’ve been affected by any of these issues, and want to speak to someone in confidence, please don’t suffer alone. Call Samaritans for free on their anonymous 24-hour phone line on 116 123