The 78-year-old man who reportedly stabbed a burglar to death who was trying to steal from his home faces no further action.
The man, who has since been named as Richard Osborn-Brooks, is believed to have confronted the burglars on Wednesday morning, at which point one of them armed with a screwdriver forced him into the kitchen, while the other went upstairs.
The apprehended trespasser, now named as Henry Vincent, a career burglar, was later found by paramedics collapsed in the road outside ‘covered in blood’. He was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead at 3:37am.
Now it has been reported that Osborn-Brooks will face no further action, reports the BBC.
Detectives investigating the case, believe there was a struggle in the kitchen which resulted in the burglar, aged 38, receiving a stab wound in the upper chest, reports The Mirror.
One witness claims he heard ‘moaning and groaning’ before a man, thought to be the burglar, collapsed to the ground. Another man, thought to be his accomplice, was seen trying to pick up the body and put it into a white van but was unsuccessful and fled the scene alone.
Brooks was later arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm which was quickly upgraded to murder before being dismissed.
Only in a country this messed up can Richard Osborn-Brooks be arrested for murder, whilst ARMED BURGLARS are classed as the victims. Absolute disgrace. The man is a hero. He’s 78 and defending himself and his property. Good on him. One less worthless burglar on the streets. #hero
— PetroL (@UnleadedJunkie) April 4, 2018
I know the police have procedures when anyone loses their life in an incident, but the entire country should get behind Richard Osborn-Brooks, the 78-year-old who defended his home against two – count them, TWO – younger and more able-bodied thieves. That one thief died, so what?
— Mike (@mikejamestaylo2) April 4, 2018
Osborn-Brooks’ neighbour, Nick Myatt, explained that the suspect lives with his disabled wife who he looks after.
I saw him a few times, he’s a lovely old man and he cares for his wife who I think has dementia or is disabled. He’s a nice man, nice to talk to.
He’s an old man – it’s a shame really. I hope the law sees sense and let’s him off. I don’t think it’s right.
I don’t know his name. I just hope he gets off. One of the police told me it’s definitely him that’s been arrested.
Another man who lives close-by also described Brooks as a ‘nice guy’.
I have done some jobs for him. It’s definitely no 23. He’s retired, but a nice guy, keeps himself to himself.
Goes out shopping once a week and that’s about it.
He’s been retired all the time I’ve been here – about 20 years. Nice as pie that’s all I can tell you.
One man who lives nearby said that there had been a spate of burglaries in the area recently.
Mr Osborn-Brooks will have been arrested so the Police can investigate the incident. However, if the Burglers were armed with a weapon ( Screwdriver) I will be amazed if he is prosecuted over the death.
— Ian Patrick ℹ (@chrissamps) April 4, 2018
I was burgled in the last couple of months.
I was renovating the house and they broke in and took a laptop. I know this has happened to others recently.
After the fatal stabbing, five forensic officers entered the house to gather evidence.
Following Osborn-Brooks arrest, there was a huge campaign to have him released without action as most believed he was simply protecting his home and his wife.
Now The Met has said Osborn-Brooks has been released and would face no action.
Joseph Loftus is a Gold Standard NCTJ journalist with four years experience working for international and regional press.
As well as working for UNILAD and LADbible, Joseph has worked as Liverpool Correspondent for Unsigned & Independent Magazine, as well as stints with the Liverpool Echo and Warrington Guardian.