Man Shouts Down Hole In The Woods, Gets Reply Back


A teenager shouted into a hole and instead of hearing his echo, he got a reply back and almost had a heart attack.

Hearing someone shouting back when you thought you were calling into an empty, cavernous chamber would be a pretty disturbing thing, yet this is exactly what happened to this teen.

Izaak Eglington-Watts was walking with his friend Emily Thompson, in Plymbridge Woods, Plymouth, when he stumbled across a weird looking cave.

Check out what happened next below:

He decided to yell into the hole – as you would – and to his horror, heard someone shout back, the Plymouth Herald reports.

Instead of his own voice reverberating off the walls, the voice he actually heard shouting back at him was from a man who’d been missing for over a month.

The voice of James Thompson who had not been seen for a month called back at the 19-year-old, catching him completely off guard.


Izaak told the Plymouth Herald:

I was absolutely terrified. I did not expect a response back, but I am so happy he has been found.

It was only out of curiosity that I went and had a look down it; I didn’t think anything was going to be inside it.

Shocked at the surprising sound of someone else’s voice shouting back at him, he decided to investigate further and called upon the help of two runners to help him get to the injured 51-year-old.

Disturbingly, Mr Thompson had been stuck down in the hole for at least a week and a half and it is believed he crawled into the shelter after becoming injured.

Izaak continued:

I climbed down into it and asked Emily if she wanted to come in as well, but she said no. I kept shouting ‘hello’ over and over again to hear it echo, just out of fun and to make Emily jump.

Then I climbed up into another section which lead into another hole and shouted hello again, which is when I got a reply back. It obviously scared me as it was pitch black down there, and all I had was my phone flash, but I couldn’t really see anything.

We walked back up to get away from the area, but she still didn’t believe me that I’d heard somebody, so I said I would go back and record it to prove it to her.

Here’s another interview with Izaak:

The man was so emaciated and dehydrated, he was extremely close to death and lucky to be alive after last being seen at an ASDA Petrol Station on March 7th at 5:20am.

You might expect to find a pigeon or rat down there, but the voice of a lost and injured man is definitely not on the list.

Hopefully he’s OK after that traumatic ordeal.