Men Take Selfies With Homeless Man Before Setting Him On Fire


Two men have been arrested for allegedly trying to set a sleeping homeless man on fire.

The men approached the rough sleeper at a train station before taking selfies with him, CCTV shows them posing with the man.

One sat down and put his arm around the man – who was passed out on a station bench – while his friend took photos, during the incident at Munich Train Station.

The two men took numerous selfies with the 51-year-old homeless man before setting his belongings on fire with a cigarette, local German media reports.


Detectives released the CCTV footage on Friday and Munich police revealed one of the men used a cigarette to set fire to a plastic bag – which the homeless man used to carry his belongings around – after which they both fled on a train.

Luckily three passers-by intervened, saving the man’s life – two of them quickly managed to pull the burning bag away from the man, while a third called the emergency services.

Several witnesses recognised the two men from the CCTV footage:

[ooyala autoplay=”true” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”1280″ height=”720″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l” code=”Iwc2lkZDE6rWxfvRQFafH0GyWJ24Mcl8″]

Credit: CEN

On Sunday a 25-year-old, of no fixed address, reported himself to the police in Starnberg, while a 29-year-old was arrested at his workplace in Munich, according to a police spokesman.

The two men, reportedly both Italian nationals, confessed their actions to the police, telling officers they were ‘just having some fun’.

They’re suspected of attempted GBH and will be brought before a judge to decide if they’ll be kept longer in custody.

The case is reminiscent of a crime last Christmas, when a migrant mob set fire to a sleeping homeless man at a metro station in the German capital of Berlin.


The seven members of the gang, all aged between 16 and 21, shocked the country after they were caught on security cameras after carrying out the horrific act.

Nour N, the one who lit the handkerchief and put it on the homeless man’s clothes, was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison.

Khaled A., 18, Ayman S., 17, and Mohammad M. were found guilty of aiding in the GBH and were sentenced to suspended sentences of eight months.

Mohamad Al-J., 19, and Bashar K., 16, were found guilty of charges of not coming to the aid of the homeless man and were convicted to four weeks of youth detention and community service.


Metro driver Tino N. spotted 37-year-old Polish homeless man Maciej B. in flames and the homeless man remained almost unscathed by the fire, thanks to his intervention.

After driving into the station and seeing the man on fire, Tino N. immediately rushed towards him and managed to extinguish the flames.

Prosecutors said if it’d not been for the brave metro driver, the Polish man would have burned to death.