Moors Murderer Ian Brady’s Ashes ‘Dumped’ At Sea In Middle Of Night


Moors murderer Ian Brady has had his ashes ‘disposed of’ at sea in the middle of the night.

The child killer, who died aged 79, at Ashworth High Security Hospital in Merseyside, in May, was cremated without a ceremony last week.

It comes after a court ruling was made to ensure the disposal of his body did not cause ‘offence and distress’ to the families of his victims. He had been held at Ashworth since 1985.


Reports say the serial killer’s body was picked up from the mortuary at Royal Liverpool Hospital by a council official at about 9pm on Wednesday October 25, according to the BBC.

It was taken to Southport Crematorium by police escort, where the cremation began at 10pm, with ‘no music or flowers allowed’.

The ashes were then placed in a weighted biodegradable urn, driven to Liverpool Marina and dispatched at sea at 2.30am.

An inquest into Brady’s death heard he died of ‘natural causes’.

In a statement, Tameside and Oldham councils said:

We are pleased that this matter is now concluded and we are grateful for the support and professionalism shown… to ensure Ian Stewart-Brady’s body and remains were disposed of expediently at sea in a manner compatible with the public interest and those of the victim’s relatives.


Brady, along with his partner Myra Hindley, tortured and murdered five children, aged between 10 and 17, in and around Manchester, between July 1963 and October 1965.

Three of the victims were found buried in Saddleworth Moor, near Oldham, with a fourth, Keith Bennett, believed to have been buried there, although Brady never disclosed the location of his body, which has never been found.


Hindley died in prison in November 2002, aged 60.

There had been fears Brady’s remains would be scattered on Saddleworth Moor but the killer’s executor Robin Makin said there was ‘no likelihood’ of this happening.

The BBC reported in May that Brady wished to have his ashes scattered in Glasgow where he grew up, but the city council said it would refuse any such request.


Brady was jailed in 1966 for murdering 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey, John Kilbride, 12, and Edward Evans, 17.

In 1985, he admitted to killing 16-year-old Pauline Reade and 12-year-old Keith Bennett, whose body has sadly never been found, despite pleas from his family.

Keith’s mother, Winnie Johnson, who searched the moors herself, died in 2012 never having known where her son was buried.


Brady was born Ian Stewart on January 2, 1938. His mother neglected him and he was raised by foster parents in the Gorbals, Glasgow’s toughest slum, which is what is said to have shaped his ‘violent personality’.

After a spree of petty crime as a teenager the courts ordered him to Manchester to live with his mother and her new husband, Patrick Brady.

He first met Hindley, of Gorton, when she worked as a secretary at the same company he worked for in Manchester.

As their relationship developed, they took obscene photographs of each other before turning their attention elsewhere – to kidnapping, child molestation and murder.


Between July 1963 and December 1964, Pauline Reade, John Kilbride and Keith Bennett were reported missing, all in the Manchester area.

10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey, disappeared on 26 December 1964.

The pair were caught when they murdered Edward Evans in front of Hindley’s 17-year-old brother-in-law, David Smith, who was married to Hindley’s younger sister, Maureen.

Smith had agreed to meet Brady the following evening to dispose of Evans’s body but when he returned home and told Maureen what he had seen, she insisted they call the police, which they did from a nearby phone box.

The officers found Brady and Hindley at home and after searching the property, police discovered Mr Evans’ corpse in an upstairs room – the murder weapon was also recovered.


A 12-year-old neighbour recalled several trips to Saddleworth Moor she had made with Hindley and Brady and the police launched a search which uncovered the body of Lesley Ann Downey on October 16.

Four days later, two left luggage tickets for Manchester Central Station, were found at Brady’s home, leading police to a pair of suitcases.

Inside the cases, they found nude photographs of Lesley Ann Downey, along with a tape which had on it a recording of the young girl pleading for her life as she was abused.

They also found a series of photos showing parts of Saddleworth Moor, leading to detectives paying another visit to the area and on October 21 they found the body of John Kilbride.


Police announced they were going to be opening their files on eight missing persons, who’d disappeared over the previous four years, but no new charges had been made upon the couple by the time they went to trial.

On May 6, 1966, both Brady and Hindley were convicted of the murder of Edward Evans and Lesley Ann Downey. Brady was also convicted of murdering John Kilbride, while Myra Hindley was convicted as an accessory to his murder.

Brady was sentenced to concurrent life terms on each count and Hindley received two life sentences plus an additional seven years in the Kilbride case.

In November 1985, Brady was transferred from prison to the maximum-security hospital he remained in, after being diagnosed a psychopath.


While there, Brady confessed to the murders of Pauline Reade and Keith Bennett.

Searchers returned to the moors in 1986 and officers discovered the remains of Pauline Reade on June 30, 1987.

Brady made numerous attempts to force the authorities to let him starve himself to death before his death in May this year.