Mum Sues School For Shaving Daughter’s Head Without Permission

0 Shares
CBS News

A mum is suing a school who shaved her daughter’s curly hair, allegedly telling the child her hair would ‘grow back straight’.

Denise Robinson said she was not contacted by the school to ask for permission to shave her seven-year-old daughter Tru’s head, writes CBS News.

The school claimed staff shaved Tru’s head for ‘hygiene reasons’, although according to reports, the ‘specifics of this were not clear’.

[ooyala code=”pzNnA0ZDE62Zp0LdFf2WXtQEk02oUriX” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”640″ height=”360″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]

Denise said Tru’s hair was ‘very long’ before it was all cut off.

She told CBS News:

For them to do this, it’s very upsetting, not just to me but to her.

She said a clinician at the Little Heroes Home in Dracut, Massachusetts, took Tru to a salon where a volunteer shaved her hair off.

The youngster attends The Little Heroes Group Home because she has ‘severe emotional issues’, meaning she stays at the home some nights of the week.

Denise Robinson/Facebook

Denise added:

There was no hygienic reason for them to shave my child’s head. There were no head lice. There were no bed bugs. There was no what I refer to as ‘rasta locks’ going on.

Her hair was two pony tails on the side on Saturday and it was braided in the ponytails and there was nothing wrong.

She also told NECN:

I am very upset. And I’m not going to stop being upset because I feel like my child was assaulted and violated.

On October 17th, Denise posted to Facebook to express her shock at Tru’s hair being cut off.

She wrote:

I’m going to need bail money for real!! Tru’s school cut her hair without telling me.

I'm going to need bail money for real!! Tru's school cut her hair without telling me

Posted by Denise Robinson on Tuesday, 17 October 2017

In two further Facebook posts, Denise has expressed her anger at the school.

In the first post on October 18th, she wrote:

Before and after her hair is gone.. Tru has a fade. We did not give anyone permission to do this!

Posted by Denise Robinson on Tuesday, 17 October 2017

And another, a day later, in which she attached four photographs of her daughter, she wrote:

Just so people can see this is why I’m mad! 3 pix from this year. Her holding the flower 2 days ago! This is why I’m mad.

Just so people can see this is why I'm mad! 3 pix from this year. Her holding the flower 2 days ago! This is why I'm mad. #WHYTRU

Posted by Denise Robinson on Thursday, 19 October 2017

Denise’s lawyer Richard Kendall told CBS reporters that volunteers had made racial comments to the girl as they shaved her head.

He said:

The volunteer informed this seven-year-old biracial child that by shaving her head, her hair would grow back straight.

I find that appalling.

CBS News

In a statement, Little Heroes said:

Decisions regarding grooming are based on a variety of factors, including hygiene.

We cannot provide any information about any individual served by the programme under federal and state law. A review of the circumstances is underway to determine what occurred and, if necessary, appropriate action will be taken.

The Department of Children and Families will not say whether or not they are investigating the matter.

But Denise says she was told by the program’s director they would ‘call her regarding anything with her daughter’, and she just hopes they keep that promise.