One of the stars of Narcos has said the hit show ‘can’t continue’ unless the cast and crew can be kept safe after one of its location scouts was shot dead.
Pedro Pascal, who plays DEA agent Javier Peña in the Netfix series, said producers would now need to figure out a way to protect staff.
His comments come after Carlos Muñoz Portal, 37, was found dead in his car earlier this month with his body riddled with bullets after he had been scouting locations for the show’s fourth series.
[ooyala code=”p4OW1kYzE6c9CRccc8F3X80bek0BtOyO” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”854″ height=”480″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]
Pascal, speaking with TMZ in LAX airport, said Mr Muñoz Portal’s death was ‘tragic’.
When he was asked if the show could continue, he responded:
Well they can’t do it if it’s not safe. We are talking about lives. If they want to do it they’ll figure it out in a safe way.
— Julio Astillero (@julioastillero) September 16, 2017
Mr Muñoz Portal was discovered ‘riddled with gunshots’ in the remote town of Temascalapa, in Mexico state, on September 11.
Details of what exactly went on remain hazy, however Muñoz’s friend suggested the presence of an ‘unfamiliar person’ with a camera could have had something to do with the tragedy.
His body was found in a compact car near the borders of Hidalgo state.
A statement from Netflix statement reads:
We are aware of the passing of Carlos Munoz, a well-respected scout and send our condolences to his family.
The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.
Our thoughts are with Carlos’ family and friends at this difficult time.