Pablo Escobar’s brother has told Netflix to hire hitmen for security during filming of the hit drama Narcos following the death of location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal.
71-year-old Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria, has called on the streaming network to up it’s security after the tragedy.
Throughout Pablo’s reign in Colombia, Roberto was chief accountant and right-hand-man for the cartel, known as ‘chief of the hitmen’.
[ooyala autoplay=”true” code=”p4OW1kYzE6c9CRccc8F3X80bek0BtOyO” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”854″ height=”480″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]
Roberto told The Hollywood Reporter:
You have to eliminate all threats. When I was walking in the jungle one day, I had a bag with $2 million in $100 bills. The army was searching for me and Pablo at this time. Suddenly, we are being shot at.
Both me and Pablo, along with a few security people, start running towards a small channel of water, we swim away. This was all done without guns.
If you have the intellect, you don’t need to use weapons. If not, you have to. In this case, Netflix should provide hitmen to their people as security.
In an ongoing legal battle with the streaming giant, Roberto has claimed he has legal rights to the names of his family under American law.
Netflix have recently hit back at Escobar, firing off a cease and desist letter against Roberto filing for copyright of ‘Narcos‘ and ‘Cartel Wars‘.
TMZ reports Netflix claim the terms ‘Narcos‘ and ‘Cartel Wars‘ are already too deeply attached to the show to pass legal rights on to anyone else.
It’s also been reported Escobar claims to have used ‘Narcos‘ on a website in 1986, which is being disputed by Netflix because the internet ‘barely existed back then’.
Apparently, Netflix and Escobar are in discussions to settle outside of court.
Previously, Escobar has slammed the hit Netflix drama for it’s ‘misrepresentation’ of the facts of the Medellin Cartel and called for $1 billion for the rights to use his family in the show.
Escobar told Newsweek:
I don’t think there will be any more Narcos if they do not talk to me. You have to pay to play and they are playing me without paying.
I am not a monkey in a circus, I don’t work for pennies.
A billion is what we used to make in a good week in the 1980s and 1990s. Apparently money is now growing on trees in favour of Netflix after my show was released.
They should pay me immediately.
— Julio Astillero (@julioastillero) September 16, 2017
Carlos Muñoz Portal was discovered dead in his car just last week in rural Mexico while scouting for Narcos season four.
News reports indicated his body was ‘riddled with bullets’, though the exact circumstances surrounding his death are still being uncovered.