Good Morning Britain viewers were left astounded by an interview with pop star Mariah Carey in which Piers Morgan broke the news to her about the shooting in Las Vegas.
Mariah was scheduled to talk to Piers and Susanna Reid about her upcoming Christmas shows in London and Paris before news broke about the shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival – which has left more than 50 people dead and 200 injured.
Viewers branded the segment as ‘tasteless’, ‘inappropriate’ and ‘irrelevant’.
[ooyala autoplay=”true” code=”c1bGp2YzE65L0MUl8TvJw8hBGvT-zk2A” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”640″ height=”360″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]
The interview was deemed particularly controversial as the singer was lying back on a chaise longue throughout, with a Christmas tree in the background.
Mariah, whose Las Vegas residency show ended in July, said on the show:
I mean it’s just what everybody’s gut reaction would be which is this is horrible.
I pray for the victims and hope… have they caught the shooter yet?
Some viewers went to social media to question why the segment went out as opposed to simply being rescheduled.
As the programme went to the break, Piers said they would talk to Mariah in the interim about continuing their interview and made the decision to postpone it.
— Michael Kitchener (@eventsbykitch) October 2, 2017
— Steve King (@SJK2807) October 2, 2017
We now go to Mariah Carey for some unknown reason for the latest updates #GMB
— me (@__Niceguy__) October 2, 2017
why was mariah carey sitting as though she was being photographed for a magazine rather than doing an interview about a shooting? #GMB
— bee (@broniewenny) October 2, 2017
Are they gonna reschedule and apologise to Mariah for putting her on the spot like that ?
— MariahUK (@MariahUkUpdates) October 2, 2017
So tasteless breaking the Vegas news to Mariah Carey live on TV, shame on you @gmb
— loz (@lawuh) October 2, 2017
Mariah Carey has been put on the spot by that prick Piers Morgan about the Vegas shootings during a pre planned interview #gmtv
— Craig Laben (@teakettlebbq) October 2, 2017
Mariah has since taken to Twitter to share her condolences with the victims and their families.
Horrified to hear about the shooting in Las Vegas. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.
Praying for everyone’s safety.
Horrified to hear about the shooting in #LasVegas. My thoughts are with the victims and their families. Praying for everyone's safety ??
— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) October 2, 2017
As more information was confirmed throughout the morning, police revealed at least 50 people have been killed and more than 200 injured after a man opened fire into crowds at Route 91 Harvest Music Festival, from a 32nd floor window of the Mandalay Bay Resort on Sunday night.
Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said officers had identified the attacker as Steven Paddock, 64, who is described as a local, lone-wolf-type actor.
The suspect’s name is Stephen Paddock, with a date of birth of four, nine of 1953. As far as history and background we haven’t completed that part of the investigation.
— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) October 2, 2017
Officers who were called to the scene said Paddock, who used a ‘fully-automatic weapon’, is dead and said they did not believe there were any more shooters involved.
Police were searching for Marilou Danley, a companion of the shooter and for two vehicles, a Hyundai Tucson and Chrysler Pacifica, both with Nevada plates.
The have since confirmed they are ‘confident’ the woman and vehicles have been located.
Lombardo revealed ‘several’ firearms had been found in Paddock’s room.
We located numerous firearms within the room that he occupied. All’s we know is that they were rifles.
We are executing a search warrant on the room. We have officers at his residence, and we will be executing a search warrant there also shortly.
It is going to be a long and tedious investigation. We are bringing in all the resources of the FBI to assist us in this investigation, in particular to their victim witness advocates and their CSI folks to help us process the scene and ensure that we are getting all the evidence that we can possible obtain.
The gunfire caused the audience to flee to the Strip, where there was more gunfire into the crowds as they began to flee.
It is the deadliest mass shooting in US history, surpassing the Orlando shooting at the Pulse nightclub in June 2016 when 49 people were killed.
Videos filmed by those caught up in the deadly attack, some initially believing the gunfire was fireworks before realising the situation.
There have been multiple eyewitness accounts of the event, including one from poker player Dan Bilzerian, and an audience member who told ABC News he held a man in his arms as he died.
A statement has been issued by MGM Resorts, who own the Mandalay Hotel where the shooter fired from the 32nd floor window.
This evening there was a tragic active shooter situation at the south end of the Las Vegas Strip. Law enforcement and emergency personnel responded quickly to the incident and secured the scene.
Law enforcement requested that we put hotels in the vicinity on lockdown to ensure guest safety. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
Mandalay Hotel representatives added:
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of last night’s tragic events. We’re grateful for the immediate actions of our first responders.
For families looking to locate missing loved ones, call 1-866-535-5654.
If you would like to donate blood for the injured victims of the Strip shooting visit the Labor Health & Welfare Clinic, 7135 W. Sahara.