Scotland Yard’s investigation into the whereabouts of Madeleine McCann will continue into the new year thanks to a £154,000 investment from the Home Office.
Over £11 million has been spent on Operation Grange since Madeleine’s disappearance in May 2007, while on holiday with her family in Praia da Luz in Portugal.
Parents Kate and Gerry McCann previously said ‘there remains work to be done that requires extra funding.’
[ooyala code=”MyaXdzYzE6QP3SfDV0vsqNPAoiR5pqug” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”640″ height=”640″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]
Crime correspondent for the Sunday Times, David Collins tweeted about the decision earlier, writing:
Sources say Home Office will grant further £154,000 to Operation Grange – the investigation in Madeleine McCann’s disappearance.
The Met’s hunt for Madeleine McCann is set to continue with announcement of forther funding, sources say.
Operation Grange will continue until at least March 2018.
Although searches were strongly conducted by the Met Police from 2011 onward, the number of detectives working on Grange was cut from 29 to four two years ago.
The police had previously requested more funding into the case as they believe they were getting closer to finding her kidnapper.
Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said at the time:
Kate and Gerry are extremely thankful to the Metropolitan Police for requesting extra funding.
They are very encouraged there remains work to be done that requires them seeking an extra budget. They are hoping naturally, it will be granted.
They are grateful to all those officers who are still working on the case and are actively looking for Madeleine.
They appreciate everything the police have done and are doing to get a resolution after all this time.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley echoed the sentiments, saying:
We have a significant line of inquiry which is worth pursuing and because it’s worth pursuing it could provide an answer – but until we’ve gone through it I won’t know whether we are going to get there or not.
At 20:30 on May 3 2007, Kate and Gerry McCann left their holiday apartment to go for dinner with friends at a Tapas bar.
Throughout the evening members of the group would leave to check on their children. One man, Matthew Oldfield, left at 21:00, who was followed by Gerry McCann five minutes later. All was well.
When Kate checked on her a while later, she discovered that Maddie was nowhere to be seen and the bedroom window had been opened.
Scotland Yard opened their own investigation in 2011.
The Met Police has so far examined over 500 lines of inquiry, 8,000 potential sightings and inquiries into 650 sex offenders.
Police believe she was abducted from her bed.
Earlier this month it was announced Netflix was set to create a new documentary about disappearance of Madeleine McCann but mum and dad, Kate and Gerry, refused to be a part of it.
The streaming site plans to examine the case in the same vein as Making a Murderer, interviewing key figures and investigators.
Last year, Netflix aired an infamous documentary on the murder or British student Meredith Kercher.
Amanda Knox featured an in-depth interview with Knox who was convicted and then acquitted of Meredith’s murder in Perugia, Italy.