Police Hunt Two Men Who Started Oxford Circus Chaos


Yesterday evening, the world gazed in horror as a spectacle which was originally ‘being treated as a terror incident’ unfolded in front of our very eyes.

Police were originally called out at 16:37 as rush hour enveloped the entire city of London. They were told that shots had been fired, and as a country with a severe threat of terrorism, all emergency services rushed out in big numbers.

Thousands of people sprinted full pelt down capital city streets, others hid inside high street shops, waiting for the terror to come to an end. People tweeted about hearing gunshots, about windows being shot at, and some news outlets even wrote articles stating a truck attack had occurred (although the only evidence, which wasn’t true anyhow, was based on a tweet from last week).


But what really happened? Essentially nothing at all. Nothing. There were no shots fired, there was no attack, no casualties, no serious injuries, and no suspects.

In total 16 people received minor injuries – all a result of the mass stampede triggered by one event. A fight between two men on Oxford Circus Tube station platform.

Police are now looking for the two men, saying that they believe they will be able to assist them with their inquiries, reports BBC News.

The two men are pictured below:

British Transport Police

A spokesperson said:

Officers believe an altercation erupted between two men on the platform. They would now like to speak to these two people in the CCTV images, who they believe may have information about the incident and the circumstances around the incident.

They would also like to speak to anyone who was at the station or in the area at the time and saw or heard anything that would have caused mass evacuation.

A Met Police spokesperson added: 

To date police have not located any trace of any suspects, evidence of shots fired or causalities. Officers continue to work with colleagues from British Transport Police in the area of Oxford Circus.

However, if there is one thing we can take from the shambolic events of Black Friday, it is that the response by the emergency services was stellar and had there been a legitimate threat or attack, it appears the police would have been able to deal with said threat very quickly.