Roxanne Pallett has broken her silence on the Celebrity Big Brother ‘punch’ incident, involving Ryan Thomas, on Jeremy Vine.
35-year-old Roxanne left the big Brother house on Friday, August 31, and appeared on the Channel 5 show today, (September 3), to discuss the incident with Jeremy – who’s taken over from previous host, Matthew Wright, of The Wright Stuff.
Ofcom received 11,000 complaints about Roxanne’s accusations towards Ryan after the initial incident, (Thursday, August 30) and viewers had been calling for her removal after accusing Ryan of punching her ‘repeatedly, intentionally and aggressively’.
34-year-old Ryan was filmed sparring in a manner Roxanne has since conceded was ‘playful’. After he made contact with her, Roxanne told him it ‘hurt’, before going to the diary room where she told producers she didn’t feel safe.
When Roxanne was asked whether Ryan had touched her in the incident, Roxanne responded saying he had but, as reported by Mirror Online, clarified:
When I look back on that footage, as soon as I left the house… I got it wrong.
Everything in that house becomes heightened, a look, an action, a comment. All I can say is in the moment, it felt worse than it was.
It was the word deliberately that I regret, massively. I massively apologise to not only Ryan, but his friends, his family, his fans, every single person who watched that and who justifiably saw an overreaction to what wasn’t a malicious act.
Because I am sensitive, I mistook what was playful.
Roxanne, formerly of Emmerdale fame, continued:
There was no malicious intention behind that, and that is what I apologise for because I shouldn’t have questioned his motivation.
I got it wrong.
However, the actor spoke of her own experiences of domestic abuse, saying:
I’ve worked with Women’s Aid because of my own experience, and perhaps they were right that my reaction was a telltale sign of my experience.
I’d be devastated and mortified to think that one person would think I’ve discredited or undermined abuse.
Roxanne also addressed why her social media accounts had been deleted, saying: ‘I’ve had to take a massive step back from everything in my life. I don’t blame anyone. I’ve also had to realise I’m quite an animated person and dramatic, they’re my character traits I need to look at and investigate and better myself.’
Some people on social media had accused the actor of being present on the show only to ensure her career doesn’t falter.
However, Roxanne hit back saying:
I chose to be here today. In fact, I was advised not to. I’m not being paid for this interview. It’s been the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, coming here today.
This is my reality now. I’m here to acknowledge a mistake. I hope that people can forgive me and I hope that Ryan can forgive me in time.
Roxanne decided to leave the Big Brother house, late on Friday after hearing chants of ‘Get Roxy out’ during the eviction show.
Following her departure, a statement from her representatives followed, which read:
Roxanne decided to leave the CBB house late last night after deliberating for two days with some sensitive issues she felt strongly about.
She has now been reunited with her fiancé and family and thanks everyone for their support during her time in the show.
Hopefully both Roxanne and Ryan can move on from the incident.
If you’ve been affected by any of these issues, and want to speak to someone in confidence contact the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. Do not suffer in silence.