Stranger Things Star Fires Agent Over Sexual Abuse Claims
Major Stranger Things star, Finn Wolfhard, has fired his agent amid past sexual abuse allegations made against him.
The agent, Tyler Grasham, is on leave pending an internal investigation by the APA.
Grasham is facing a series of claims of sexual assault and inappropriate behaviour, particularly with young aspiring male actors, including filmmaker, Blaise Godbe Lipman, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
A spokesperson from the agency declined to discuss or confirm the agent’s status.
[ooyala code=”dnNXkwZDE6El4PKDBV72uZaCA33jVRRe” player_id=”5df2ff5a35d24237905833bd032cd5d8″ auto=”true” width=”1280″ height=”720″ pcode=”twa2oyOnjiGwU8-cvdRQbrVTiR2l”]
However, the spokesperson confirmed APA are looking into the matter:
APA takes these allegations extremely seriously and is investigating this matter.
Grasham is a prominent agent in the agency and also represents Hayley Orrantia, star of The Goldbergs.
Reports suggest the agency has hired an independent investigator to look into the matter, while Grasham has turned his social media accounts to private as well as deleting his Facebook.
Wolfhard is in high demand at the moment following his major successes in both Stranger Things and Stephen King’s film adaptation, IT.
The allegations against Grasham have arisen at a time of particular turmoil for Hollywood, following damning allegations of film mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Many high profile names have made their experiences with the producer public, instigating a major conversation about sexual misconduct and harassment in Hollywood and beyond.
The revelations around Weinstein stimulated a hashtag trend on Twitter, known as the ‘Me Too’ movement, in which women come forward to describe their experiences of sexual abuse.
It’s thought there are millions of accounts of assault under the hashtag #MeToo, one of which came from Lipman, who was represented by Grasham earlier in his career.
He made the allegations on October 15, though refused to name Grasham:
We had a ‘business’ lunch to discuss potential [representation]. He ordered me a drink. I said I was 17. He said don’t be rude, this is business, this is how things are done.
I didn’t know better. He got me drunk, etc etc etc. SUCH A TIRED CLICHE… He’s still at APA representing tons of young talent, using a position of power to coerce young boys.
Like Weinstein, everyone knows.
After this post, Lipman told The Hollywood Reporter he received a Facebook ‘poke’ from Grasham, despite not being connected on the site.
This made Lipman take the step to name the man who he claims has assaulted him.
Lipman said his professional relationship with Grasham remained friendly, though switched during an encounter at Grasham’s apartment where the agent allegedly forced himself on the then 17-year-old.
After the initial claims made by Lipman, more men began to come forward, including Lucas Ozarowski.
He made harrowing claims to The Hollywood Reporter:
Tyler was trying to get me highly intoxicated. Buying me drink after drink. Eventually I had to start leaving them in the bathroom to avoid suspicion.
[Later that night] Tyler reaches over and shoves his hand aggressively down my front pants and grabs my genitalia. I forcibly rip his hand out, get up, tell him ‘that was highly inappropriate’ and leave his home.
I’d like to state that I have nothing against APA or Tyler’s clientele. I wish them all the best throughout this tough time. Also I am thankful for the women who have come out against Harvey Weinstein.
I do not wish to overshadow their struggle. Women, I believe, have it much worst in this industry and I hope this can lead to a sweeping wake-up call in the industry on all sides.
Weinstein, the 65-year-old producer whose net worth is an estimated $200 million, ‘unequivocally denied’ claims of non-consensual sex set out in the New Yorker, yet apologised for causing ‘pain’, adding he’s now in sexual addiction counselling.
Topics: Film and TV
CreditsThe Hollywood Reporter
The Hollywood Reporter