Terrorist Attack Manchester Arena: Everything We Know So Far

0 Shares
Terrorist Attack Manchester Arena: Everything We Know So Far mancarenablast2Getty

A 23-Year-Old man has reportedly been arrested in South Manchester in connection with last night’s terror attack.

Police have now confirmed with this post on Twitter.

Photographs have begun to emerge on social media claiming to show the arrest taking place in the Morrison’s car park in Chorlton, a suburb in south west Manchester.

The explosion at The Manchester Arena is being treated as a suspected terror attack following police confirmation of fatalities, while authorities also conducted the controlled explosion of another object found close by.

Police confirmed via social media they had responded to a ‘serious incident’ that had led to at least 19 fatalities and at least 59 people injured.

The explosion is said to have taken place as an Ariana Grande concert drew to a close, with people exiting the arena.

Emergency services are currently responding to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena.There are a number of…

Posted by Greater Manchester Police on Monday, 22 May 2017

After initial confusion and suggestion a speaker may have been responsible for the blast, reports escalated tragically.

UNILAD spoke to a number of fans who were there at the time of the explosion.

Sebastian Diaz, 19, said:

Just finished and about to leave into the foyer and there was a massive bang, people stood still and panicked. We were going to go back but we got trapped and sprinted out. People didn’t know where to go and loads of young girls were crying.

Toby Main, 20, added:

We were walking out and there was a big explosion and next thing everyone was running and no one knows what it was.

There were kids crying everywhere.

As reported by the BBC, senior counter-terrorism officers are now ‘assembling in London and are liaising with the Home Office’.

Bomb disposal units were present and active at the scene.

Police later located a second ‘suspect device’, warning locals they were conducting a controlled explosion in the neighbouring Cathedral Gardens.

They then confirmed the suspect items were just abandoned clothing.

Manchester Victoria rail and metro station – which is built adjacent to the arena – was closed with the cancellation of all services, leaving many stuck in the city.

This was soon followed by a social media appeal to help those stranded, with #roomformanchester trending to aid those trapped as a result of the incident.

Amid the panic many children were separated from their parents and guardians as crowds flooded from the venue.

The local community immediately united with the nearby Holiday Inn offering safe refuge to reportedly vulnerable children who had become lost or isolated in the chaos.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said at 03:00am this morning:

Currently we have 19 people confirmed to have lost their lives in the casualty. My thoughts are with those who are injured and have lost their lives. We are doing all we can to support them and their families.

An emergency number is available for all those concerned about their loved ones. That number is 0161 856 9400.

We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident. As you will understand we are still receiving information.

Ariana Grande herself later tweeted the most heartbreaking of tweets:

She has also cancelled the rest of her world tour.

Our thoughts are with anyone affected by the tragic events of the evening.